1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hit me like a ton of bricks

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Incognito10, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Incognito10

I begrudgingly logged into my facebook account this evening out of pure boredom only to see an article on my news feed that was "Liked" by my sister. The article was about a gay person who believes gays can change and it is necessary, otherwise you're in sin. :dry:

Well, for the years I've been out, no negative words have been spoken and I haven't been treated any differently by her, but it still hurts to know that I am viewed as a "sinner" by her. And the interesting thing is the way Facebook shows "hey...your friend, X, liked this article...maybe you will too..." so she didn't repost or share it and most likely is unaware her "like" resulted in me seeing how she truly views gays. She has married into a "conservative Christian family" so I am thinking maybe they fuel some of this. No body wants to be viewed as a flawed person, but apparently, my only sister views me this way.

It may sound like a small deal, but like the title says, I feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks, a lump in my throat and all the old anxiety. I already suffer from depression and anxiety and it just hurts. And the odd thing is, I kind of had a bad feeling about logging into facebook as over the past month or so, I've been tired of it and feel like it's just overexposure to peoples lives.

2. Saint Otaku

Get outta there! Facebook is largely a pile of trash and you'd probably be better without it. Also, sorry about your sister, my whole family thinks like that (*hug*)

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it really upsets you, you should tell her that. It does you no good to just roll over and play dead.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aint nothin wrong with FB. :wink: FB is what people make it.

I'd talk to your sister. Like the guy above said, doesn't help to not say anything.

5. Rap24

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would say talk to her about it, because you can't expect her to know how you feel about here liking a post like that without you speaking up. For all we know maybe she didn't mean to like that post.

6. Bast

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The fact that you are related should not affect your views on her. If you would not normally associate with people who believe that you are lesser for who you chose to be romantically involved with, then don't associate with her.

Of course, for you that may not be a feasible solution. If that is so, then I would talk to her. Ideally, this would be in person and without her "conservative Christian family" around.

Finally, I am sorry for your reaction. I can empathise. Facebook is invasive and overall not a great thing for people.