1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it Healthy or right to meet people online?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Wardrobe93, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Wardrobe93

So, i've finally come out to my parents and theyre cool and no i am slightly unsure and are willing to help me which is great, i dont hide anything form them anymore (not really) and me and my step dad have had 2 or 3 really good conversations about it :slight_smile:

Thing is, being in the closet, i meet people online rather than in person. I've never actually met up with people online but came close once and theres this guy I'd quite like to meet that I met recently. I'm not looking for one night stands or anything like that i want to meet and get to know someone. Ofcourse if I ever go to a club and meet someone and they were hot and id had a few... well maybe, but im not looking for online hook ups.

Anyway my Step Dad knows about me speaking to this guy for 2 months and wanting to meet up with him and it all went sour never happened bla bla bla. And he doesn't think i should speak to meet people online anymore on chatrooms etc (EC being exception :slight_smile:)

Get this: He wants to take me to a gay bar!! he's even done some research into it! I appreciate him wanting to help but I wouldnt want to go to any club with him! Although i do sort of feel like i need to do something like that :S but im so nervous just thinking about it!

So basically, I know there might be slightly bias answers to this but Q1: Is it ok to meet up with people met online?
    Q2: Should i go to Gay club with Dad?

As always thanks guys :slight_smile: x

2. taobroin

taobroin Guest

IMHO - skip the bar with the step Dad - that just sounds odd frankly. In my experience it's a great idea to meet people online. In fact - If I'm not mistaken with the social media explosion, most introductions are made online now. I met my last two long term boy friends online. My first lasted 15 yrs, the 2nd, 3 yrs - so it is possible. Just be sure to educate yourself and be safe. Good Luck! (I remember how excited I was the first time in a gay bar - what fun!)

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see nothing wrong with meeting people online.
    It doesn't matter how you meet them, as long as you get to know each other and it blossoms into a beautiful relationship. :wink:

I'd avoid the gay bar, lol. Sounds ... tense and awkward.

4. Gingerblond93

Yeah, I think its fine to meet someone online. But I would text them for a while get to know them and eventually meet them in a safe public place like a Star Bucks, sit and have a coffee with them and see if there is a spark and you want to continue to see them. And always drive your own car so if the person is not someone your interested in or a creep, you can safely leave.

5. When I go to a club - it is because I already know people and there is something going on, not to meet someone or for a pick up - I am expecting nothing

and I certainly would never go with a relative :eek: talk about a way of killing any chances

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha :roflmao:

7. AKTodd

It sounds like your dad is wanting to understand you and also protect you, which is great:slight_smile:

However, I don't really recommend going with him to a gay bar for your first visit to one. This will be awkward for both of you, even if you have no intention of meeting someone there (and Murphy's Law virtually guarantees that if your dad's there so will be a guy you find incredibly hot who will want to talk to you). Perhaps wait until you've both gotten used to going to bars and possibly found one that tends more toward a place you might be reasonably comfortable taking him.

You might also consider pointing him or both your parents at the local chapter of PFLAG, both to provide them with some support and an opportunity to provide support to LGBT folks in a more general way:

PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Finally, I agree with what others have said - nothing wrong with meeting people online as long as you employ care and common sense along the way.

Todd