1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual Niece

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by angel626, Nov 30, 2013.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I apologize in advance if my post is to long.

My niece and I have been inseparable since birth literally. We grew up together, went to the same school, live in the same house, go to the same and college, and even have the same friends. So its easy to say that after all this time we have a bond that cannot be broken granted just like every family we have had our problems and arguments but we always make up at the end of the day.

Now when I was 15 and in the tenth grade I came out; she was the first to know. Coming out wasn't easy for me because I at the time was alone. I did not know what I was going through nor was there anyone that I was able to talk to without having to out myself. So I went through that whole process alone all the way up to the point of coming out. With that being said just this year I find out that my niece is bisexual and I only know because one of our friends who is also bi came up to me and explained to me why they were having problems. I guess she could tell by the look of shock that I had on my face, she was able to tell right away that I had no idea that my niece was bi. Our friend outed her and of course my first instinct was to find her and talk to her to see how she was doing but I stopped myself because I could not let my niece know that I knew she was bi without making her feel uncomfortable. I know how it is to feel confused so I figured I would let her come out to me on her own.

As more time went by two other girls came up to me to explain their issues and of course that my niece was leading them on. As time went by I grew more frustrated. Why did she not want to tell me? Was she afraid of my reaction? Well after some more time had passed she finally told me what she has been going through and that she did not tell me because she was afraid of my reaction. That alone angered me. I was angry because she was afraid of what I would say even though I am gay and the fact that she knew she had me, she knew she could've easily talked to me about all this. Unlike me my niece would have not been alone with dealing with all of this which was what made me so angry.

Keeping my cool; I sat and listened to everything she had to say. Once she was done explaining her self I told her she was not alone and I'll be there for her when she comes out. She looked at me and said she was not coming out and that she refuses too. She just kept repeating I'm not gay. I explained that she was not gay but bi because I knew just how much attraction she has to guys and I mean a lot! (watched magic mike several times and enjoyed it each time) I have no doubt in my head that she is bi and she knows it to. But she still refuses to come out.

I'm angry, frustrated, and lost. I have no idea what else to do or say to get her to understand it is ok. I'm angry because it makes me feel like being gay is not ok and I'm angry because even though she is going through all of this she still gets crazy with me when ever I try to talk about women or when I want to talk about a crush. She always stops me and tells me to go talk to someone else and that is why I'm so mad. I don't want her to make me feel like I need to go back into the closet and I don't want to feel ashamed of myself either. I feel so alone again I don't know who to talk to and I feel like I cannot go to her to talk about other things that I'm going through like me being upset and confused about my gender.

I feel so alone and I don't know what to do anymore. :help:

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see why you're feeling frustrated, but I think you should look at this in a new way.

She may be bi, she may not be. But she needs to find that out for herself, and she just needs you to say, "I'm here for you if you need something."
    Based on this text,
    I think you should lay back and let her make the decision for herself.

From her point of view: I think that someone telling me I am something that I'm not ready to accept would be incredibly confusing, and stressful on a friendship.

--

I understand that you want to be there to support her, and you want her support too, but she just might need some time to think about things for herself. :slight_smile: