1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hugging on Gay First Dates?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AaronMed, Dec 1, 2013.

?

Is it normal to hug your date at the beginning of a first date?

1. Yeah, it's totally normal.

48.0%
  2. Kinda normal, I wouldn't mind it.

32.0%
  3. Sort of normal, I think it's a little weird.

4.0%
  4. Not very normal, but I don't judge.

16.0%
  5. Totally weird.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AaronMed

To all the gay guys, do you think it's a good idea to hug your date when you first meet him on the first date before you sit down? I've been on a total of 2 first dates since my breakup, and both didn't work out, but at the beginning my date hugged me each time. Is that just standard practice? Like, would it be okay for me to do that, or would that be weird? Would that change your perception of your date?

2. LD579

I think it certainly doesn't hurt, for most. It's, for most, just a hug, and just supposed to be a pleasant start to a pleasant date, hopefully. It'd probably just make me like my date more, if anything.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if I'd be comfortable hugging a guy at the BEGINING of a first date, but likely wouldn't have a problem by the end of it.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I must confess I voted before reading the question fully, and didn't take into account that it's asking about the beginning of the date. :astonished: In that case, I think it comes down to the people on the date. Me personally, I consider it pretty normal, but I'd probably ask a guy if he'd be okay with it if he seems to have pretty wide boundaries, and would totally understand if he didn't want to.

5. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at beginning, but would be by end.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say a little bit odd for a beginning to the date. I think a hand shake or verbal greeting would probably be more appropriate.

7. Skov

I don't like hugs in general so I may be a little biased, but I think it would be especially strange at the beginning of a date.

8. coreyl13

I haven't every been on a date with a guy. Only girls so I would be very tense. Anyways I think hugging at the beginning sets the tone that your on a date for a possible relationship.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the very beginning, probably not. At the end, it's a nice gesture, regardless of how it went. It shows both maturity and a considerate nature. Just look at how friends hug, and now you even see politicians doing it to congratulate someone on a victory. It's about time. No big deal.

10. tex st

tex st Guest

hand shake or a wave might be better as an easy start

11. gayphdstudent

I am not sure if there is a standard or rule, but i have also commonly been hugged at various points when meeting or going for coffee/supper etc with people.

Personally i dont see anything wrong with it as it symbolises care or friendliness...as well as being comfortable with each others sexuality (already showing you are both part of a common community).

Also, there are different types of hugs that can take into account whether its when you are meeting someone (quick, light hug) or if its a long time friend (more relaxed, tighter hug) etc.

It may be me subscribing to a stereotype but i gladly do so - gay people are friendly right? :slight_smile: