1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holidays with the family - first time since being out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainbowMan, Dec 1, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

So this holiday season is the first time for me being with family since I came out. For those of you that have done this, is it an awkward experience? I'm with them for around a week, and being hosted by my extremely supportive sister.

However, my dad will also be there. He was the subject of this post oh so long ago, and we sort of haven't talked about me being gay since. I'm worried that this will be totally awkward, and I'm not quite sure how to prepare for it - if we remain in the "don't talk about it" mode that's fine with me, but if he wants to go somewhere else, I'm not sure how to effectively handle it.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same, it's my first time I'll have spent more than a couple of hours with my family, and the first time I've even SEEN my extended family since I started living as Holly. Needless to say I'm worried too!

We can get through it RainbowMan!! (*hug*)

3. SomeNights

I always roll with the "it's only awkward if you make it that way" mentality. It makes things really easy. Plus it's been my experience that people are so invested in their own lives (including family members) that if you don't specifically draw attention or make a big deal out of something no one else will or take notice.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you have parents like mine who have a bad habit of always making every single goddamn thing awkward.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same. This will be the first time being with my family for an extended period of time since coming out. The longest time interval I've been around my family since being out was Thankgiving break. (4 days) I'll be home for about a month for Winter break. It probably won't be as awkward as I think it will be.

6. RainbowMan

Yeah, this is only a few days, from the 23rd to the 28th, so it probably won't be bad :slight_smile:

7. Tyrael

Did you not make this thread before? I'm sure I posted in it? Have I gone mad??

8. Zeevie

It'll be my first holiday season being out also. I've seen a few family members since my Mum told some of the extended family, but not us all together in one place, so I'm nervous too.

But just remember, as I will try to also, you're wonderful, this is what makes you happy and no amount of awkwardness can irreparably change that.

(*hug*)

9. biggayguy

I came out as bisexual several years ago but this will be my first Christmas as an openly gay man. Maybe I'll hang a rainbow stocking!