1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance... friendship, relationship, bromance??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by cruzer12, Dec 1, 2013.

1. cruzer12

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey everyone, this is my first post to EC, and from the threads I have read, you all have some good advice. I will try to keep my story as simple and clutter free as possible.

My friend and I (who live 6 states apart) met on an online forum several years ago. We became Facebook friends, and for a few years only communicated with occasional messaging, comments etc.

Last year, after being FB friends for a few years, we were messaging and decided to Skype. That one Skype session has kicked our friendship to the next level.

After that Skype call, we exchanged numbers, and since that time we text nearly everyday. (When we don't, I feel sad). We talk about anything. We have become best friends, and we continue to Skype nearly every saturday or sunday night. Our text convos cover any subject, and there seems to be nothing off limits for us. We act as each others therapists at times as well, and he has even encouraged me to return to college and has tutored me in some of my math classes. Mind you, we have never met in person yet.

I have become very attached to my friend, as we share everything with each other. One night (after we had been close friends for about 7 months), I told him that I think I may be gay. His response was "I'm still your friend no matter what :wink:".
    I was surprised, thinking to myself "wow, that was a pretty calm response for a straight guy." And then we proceeded as if nothing happened.

Here is my (oh-so-common) dilemma. My friend says he is straight, and he has conveyed this message by saying things in a convo like "I'm not doing that, cause I'm not gay!" or even just calls me gay because of something I did. He also sometimes makes comments about the "gayness" of his gay friends posts that appear on his news feeds.
    I'm not trying to change my friend, but there are many mixed signals he gives me. They are as follows:

-talks of being a "ladies man", but in the past year has not hooked up with, or been on a date with a female.

-despite his straight claims and being incredibly good looking, he will not even entertain the thought of dating any female other than one particular high school flame. He claims that he is "emotionally unavailable" for any person but said female, and also says that he doesn't have time for anyone but her (she lives 2 hours away from him). He also has a long, long list of qualifications that any prospective mate must meet before he would consider her (job, income, style sense, weight, etc.) But - somehow he has time to text me everyday and Skype each weekend...

-frequently puts down his friends/family members that are in relationships, and states "single life is better than all that BS"

-VERY keen sense of fashion (He picked out an outfit online for me to wear to a wedding I had to go to. I mean, is THAT normal!?)

-made comments like "if you lived here, I would make you run with me in the park" and "if we shared a condo together, I would make you do all the housework" and even an occasional "I wish we lived closer"

-when traveling for work, gives me his flight numbers so I can track his flights. We often IM each other while he is bored on his flights, and we also Skype when he is bored before bed in his hotel room on these trips

-told me that he will be present at my college graduation when the time comes

-will occasionally ask how my day/work/school/test/doctors appointment went

-text me mundane things such as comments his parents/coworkers have made

I know that this post is long, however, I just don't know what to think about my situation. I'm not exactly sure of my own sexuality, however, I have always felt attracted to my friend even before we became close. I feel that if he were to come out as gay someday, I would be in heaven. I feel that if I am gay, that he is the person for me.

On one hand, I don't really care what his orientation is because he lives 6 states away and neither of us would be picking up any time soon to go live near the other, and the friendship is great as is. At the same time though, I wonder if there is something more to this as some of the things we share and talk about seem to go beyond what most normal bromances would entail (in my opinion). Although he is a self proclaimed "emotionless" and "emotionally unavailable" person, he does get emotional/worked up over my spending habits as he knows I am trying to pay off some debts and he is trying to make me become a smart spender.

So, after all of that, what say you, EC? Am I reading too much into this, or do you think there may be something more?

2. method

Hmm... you've laid all the factors out on the table. To be honest, this is hard one because from reading that, it could be very well any of those possibilities. I think this is something you can only judge for yourself (gut feeling, really), short of asking him straight up.

Though I am incredibly jealous of your relationship, you two sound like a good duo :thumbsup:

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only way you'll know for sure is if you ask him about it seriously. From what I'm reading, my guess would be that he's straight and you're just interpreting the signals wrong, but anything's possible

4. fakeidentityduh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would consider telling him you have feelings for him. given the nature of the relationship (it being online) and how often you guys communicate, I doubt that it could have that adverse of an effect on the friendship. especially given his positive reaction to you coming out to him. ask yourself... what's really the worst that can happen?