1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a mess

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Unsure201338, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Unsure201338

Out Status:
    A few people
    I apologize as I have written something similar before...but I need advice. I have been try to suppress my bisexual feelings and thoughts.

I have told my girlfriend about my fairly recent discovery that I am bi. She was surprisingly supportive and only asked that I not act on them while in a relationship with her. That said, I have been trying to suppress these feelings and thoughts because I feel like I'm cheating on her and not being honest. Unfortunately I have not been able to suppress them.

So...what should I do? Should I simply tell her it is happening and see what she says/does? Should I go to sex therapy? Should I keep it to myself (BTW - I would never act on them, they are just stuck in my head...but it is a lot of the time now :frowning2: )? Thoughts on how to suppress them more effectively?

Any help would be appreciated.:icon_sad:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why do you need to suppress them? Actually, what are your feelings in the first place? It's okay to feel attracted to people, but that doesn't mean you will act on them.

3. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like what resu said, why do you need to suppress your bisexual feelings? Everyone, whether straight, gay, or the shades inbetween is attracted to people within and outside of a relationship. It's okay to love your girlfriend, and find other dudes and girls hot. Being attracted to other people isn't necessarily acting on those feelings.

When your girlfriend asks you to not act on those feelings, she's asking you not to cheat on her, which is something you shouldn't do anyway. The fact that she's cool with you being bi is incredibly awesome! Be grateful she accepts you for currently, for whatever reason, there's a prejudice or disbelief rather that bisexual people really exist.

You don't need to suppress your feelings. Everyone has them, and you'll be miserable trying. Just don't "act" on them, as in, don't go running off with a guy or girl when you're already in a relationship.

4. picknmix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is a good step that you are aware of who you are and also that you can be honest and open about it to your gf. The above post it right about the fact that all your gf is asking is that you don't cheat on her. Why should you be suppressing your feelings, I tried for years and years to suppress my feelings I had for women and in the end it only made me miserable, I am now comfortable with my sexuality and most of my immediate family and friends know and I am so much happier.