1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My hero is a homophobe

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sitri, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Sitri

I recently learned that my hero, my grandfather is a homophobe. I sort of suspected it. He's a stereotypical old man, only listens to swing, as far right as can be, mildly racist. But I never suspected how severe. I thought that the idea would make him uncomfortable, and maybe he wouldn't like it, but he spits and changes the channel every time he sees something like a pride parade on the news. He hates gay people, but he's always been my hero. He was always everything I was not, confident, calm and happy (unless you brought up politics or apperently gays), he seemed to have all the answers. I idolize him so much, and to learn that if I come out he might hate me... I just can't deal with that.

2. john1984

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. That is really tough. Don't give up on him though. It's easy to say you hate something but when it ends up being family or someone close sometimes people change. I hope that ends up being the case for you. I'm fairly young but kinda a right winger myself in many ways lol. So that doesn't always mean anything. I was worried about my friends and many people before I came out. And it was worry for nothing. A few people I know still don't like gays as a whole or a group but they love me. So lol you never know. But I didn't change when I came out. I'm the same person I am into guns and working on my cars and all that stuff. Just give your grandfather a chance but don't rush into anything until you feel ready. Or as ready as possible and also understand that even if his initial reaction is bad chances are pretty good he will come around. I wish you the best of luck it's a tough situation you are in

3. Sitri

I certainly can't tell him any time soon. Ever since his wife (my grandmother) died he's become almost a caricature of his more negative qualities. He'll lash out at anyone and anything he doesn't like. I hope he calms down by the time I'm ready to come out.

4. john1984

just give it some time things will be ok