1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for moving On and out! please?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Monika the Diva, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Monika the Diva

Hi everyone,

Since the cats' s out of the bag and most of my family members are homophobic I've made up my mind on a few things. I realized that there are not many people that I can trust in my extended family. With that in mind I've decided that once I moved out on my own I'm cutting off my extended family. I will not reach out to anyone. However, I would have an open door policy. If those family members that decided that they still want me around only require at least two visits to my place in order for me to visit them if they want me to start visiting them and hanging out. Otherwise, I rather remain alone and begin to enjoy my new life as a transgender female.

Any thoughts on this crazy idea?

2. Gingerblond93

I totally think you have the right idea. You need to be respected first and foremost. Your extended family members don't need to "like" you coming out as a trans gender girl, they just need to respect you. If they can't respect you and be polite to you then you need to take a "time out" from them.

I would tell your extended family you love them, they will always hold a special place in your heart, and your still the same person inside they loved since you were born. Let them know anytime they want to come and visit you they are welcome. Tell them what your doing you need to do for yourself and your not asking them to understand it or even like it, but to just respect and you and support you.

How is your immediate family doing with you? Your parents and siblings? Are they supporting you? Are you living full time as a girl?

3. Monika the Diva

Well my mom is accepting it but would prefer that once I begin my transition she would prefer I did that after I moved out. My brother and my dad don't accept it but my brother will come around. My dad is choosing to ignore it and still act "normal" for now. My brother got mad at me because I came out to the wrong people in my extended family and told everyone else about my situation and my brother thinks that those who are most homophobic are laughing behind my back. Those who are, I could careless about what they do. Once I move out I will begin living full time as a girl. So far I am comfortable enough to go out now but living at home it makes things very complicated and very inconvenient.

Thank you for asking ^_^

4. Gingerblond93

Well it's good your mom is supporting you. Eventually your brother will come around and accept you, and so will your dad. The homophobic members of your extended family you can not change. So some of them who are too judgmental, may not be part of your life any-longer and honestly, you don't need the negative energy from them.

Just focus on being who you are and proud of who you are. I'm sure your a beautiful girl and be proud of her. When will you be moving out? Are you in college or HS? It's so cool your confident in who you are, I admire you.

5. Monika the Diva

Well I am a college student. I plan on moving out after my next school semester. By the time I make to my final semester I will be moved out. I'm 33 and it took me a long time to discover who I really am.