1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did he flirt with me if he's not prepared to be with me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BearLover, Dec 4, 2013.

1. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I met this older man 2 years ago, he started flirting with me a few months after working for him. I went along with it even though he is married as I don't have any respect for marriage.

I knew he was gay because of what he has done to flirt with me, he touched me on the hip several times, he put his hand on the bottom of my back when I bent over, he kept on playfully slapping me in the face, he held my hand, he put his hand on my shoulder, I caught him looking at my bum in the reflection, he said that when I smile it makes him tingle and he always licked his lips at me all the time especially when it was just me and him in his office.

But when I ask him if wants to come over my place he says "Why would I want to do that?" and it makes me feel like a fool for asking.

I asked him for a cuddle and he said no, but he continues to touch me, he even touched my bum the other day discretely, I was standing in the way and he pushed the upper part of my bum to move me, it was obvious he wanted a feel.

After all this, I gave him the chance to come over my place so we can be together and he said no. He wants me but he wants to stay with his wife. Why did he even bother to flirt with me if he's not prepared to be with me? Why put in that effort and go through all that pain if you're not prepared to be in a relationship with the person you love? :tantrum:
    He gets very upset when I ignore him and other people have noticed how upset he gets, I know they think he is gay too, people realize that we are in a love hate relationship.

2. Gingerblond93

I honestly think what he is doing is sexual harassment. It sound's like he is in a position of authority where your working and his behavior at work is not appropriate.

Your not a sexual object or a toy for him to play with whenever he desires. If he fancies you, then your right, he should see you after work hours. However, he is married and most likely confused. He can't have his wife and you too. He must choose one or the other.

You can only get hurt with him, I don't see any future for you with him. My suggestion is you don't flirt back with him and keep your communications with him professional and work related only. And don't wear tight fitting trousers at work.

3. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am trying to leave this workplace. I am pushing him away slowly but he still thinks I haven't gave up on him. I came back to work after a 2 week holiday and I instantly felt bad, I didn't miss him much over the holiday but when coming back to work I felt upset around him.

I will keep the contact as low as possible but if he notices that I am trying to push him away he will get annoyed. He flips out at me when I don't say hi in the morning to him. I treat him like a friend now, I won't be licking my lips at him anymore.

4. Gingerblond93

You really need to keep your behavior at work with him 100% professional. You can say hi to him in a professional manner like you would say hi to a cashier at a supermarket but nothing else.

Don't even treat him as a friend, only as a work associate. Be polite and professional but nothing else. Treat him like you would treat anyone else in a work environment. Being sexual with him in any manner or giving him the suggestion your interested in him will only make the situation worse.

Over time, when you act totally professional with him, no more flirting or anything like that, he will eventually get the message. He may initially get upset that you are no longer flirting with him, but he will eventually get the message and stop his inappropriate behavior.

And yes look for a new job.

5. john1984

He is married and you went along with it because as you say "I don't have any respect for marriage." What the hell? Well I guess that certainly speaks to your character. That being said yes he is playing with you and it is not a healthy situation. You should remove yourself from it as it is only going to lead to trouble. Generally at work it is best to keep things professional

6. Mzansi

If you don't have respect for the marriage,
    Then at least have respect for yourself and the poor partner he is with,
    Who clearly doesn't know whats happening.

He is married,
    He likes the thrill and the adrenaline he gets from doing something so forbidden,
    He isn't "In love with you",
    Not in the least,
    Or if he is,
    It's your body and not "you".

Be careful with these situations.

7. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've already said this a thousand times, marriage is made out to be much more than it really is. If he wants me then he should come and get me, I am not forcing him to cheat or leave her, that's his choice. If he wants a new relationship, that's his choice, whether it's me or someone else, he still wants someone new, if he didn't he wouldn't even bother to flirt with other people.

But if he knows what he wants and he did get in a relationship with me, it wouldn't be my fault that his relationship broke up, either he loves her or he doesn't, if he leaves her then that was their fault for not making an effort with each other. It's like when someone comes out of a relationship, is it the new partners fault for the ex partners break up?

I'm still moving on from him as he isn't going to leave her, I'm not just going to let him use me.

8. AKTodd

Sooo...you're perfectly ok with helping him violate the mutually agreed upon expectations that were established as part of his existing relationship (whether or not its a marriage is irrelevant), but you are bothered by it when he violates what you apparently feel are the expectations he has been developing with you by flirting with you?

It sounds to me like you are getting a (small) dose of your own medicine. And that you really have no cause to complain, given your stated starting premise.

Regardless, you should definitely distance yourself from him and not do anything with him. Because he might decide to violate your expectations (or yourself) much more directly, physically, and painfully next time.

Todd

9. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    No I don't expect anything from him, I didn't expect him to be with me but I wanted him to be with me, I was just wondering why someone would flirt when they aren't prepared to do anything or be in a relationship.

It's his choice if he wants to end his marriage, I don't have anything to do with the quality of their relationship! I went along with it because it didn't bother me what would come of his relationship, I don't care if their relationship ends, it's not going to affect me in any way. I haven't gone out of my way to destroy their relationship. He came up to me and it looks like he wants a new relationship.

I have respect for a relationship and I think it's a good idea but whether they are married or not doesn't matter.

Why would he flirt with me if he's not prepared to do anything? He puts in effort to flirt with people and then rejects them leaving himself upset. He knew this was coming and he gets upset from it, why?

#9 BearLover, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My future husband is 46 years old, not my boss and never been married. What you need to do is quit your job, stop all contact with this guy and get some help. You have done so wrong in this situation and you should be ashamed and think about his family. It's his fault too but you need to step up and do the right thing.

11. AKTodd

So if his wife was just his girlfriend, you'd have not flirted with him? You say that the quality of their relationship is not your concern and in one sense that's true. But in another sense, that's just a cop out. Part of what holds human relationships and civilization together is respect for certain principles beyond the most basic 'does it hurt me or not' level.

There's also the issue that you really don't seem to have any idea of what his personal life is like or whether or not his wife knows about what he's doing (she may think everything is great with their relationship), so holding her accountable for 'the quality of their relationship' seems somewhat unfair. It also may be missing the point in this context. Leading to...

Most likely he's deeply closeted and struggling with his own sexuality. He has the urge to do something with you and, being a guy, when he's horny he's also not thinking clearly. So he flirts and flirts until things come to a head with you suggesting the two of you have sex. At which point he basically hits the wall of 'if I take this any further, it all becomes real and then I'm admitting that I'm gay and then my life falls apart' (or something like that) and then he stops. And is upset.

If I'm looking at this from a compassionate point of view, I'd say that he's probably hurting and that, while you should not permit the flirting to continue, you should also gently suggest that he should seek some support (professionally or in a group like EC) to help him work through this issue. There are other folks on EC who have more direct experience of this sort of thing and can probably provide better thoughts on it, if you're interested.

In a similar vein, I would suggest that his flirting has led you to develop some degree of feelings for him. Otherwise, I would imagine you would simply shrug off his abrupt change of mind, go to the nearest gay bar or hookup app and take care of the physical urge involved in short order.

If you have developed such feelings, then I'm sorry that you're hurting right now (*hug*) but he needs to work out his issues before any sort of healthy relationship could develop between you. If you can point him in the direction of working through his situation and even be supportive while he does so, then that's an option. But it's probably not something that would happen overnight and it might not happen ever.

In the meantime, the folks here are available to talk. You might also reach out to the staff directly and see if they can offer additional insights.

Hope this helps,

Todd

12. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been trying to get out of this job for a while now.

I did make the decision that it was time to move on a while ago but I am having a real struggle to change jobs.

I know this isn't going to work out. The question I posted wasn't rhetorical, I seriously wanted to know why he was coming onto me if he wasn't prepared to be with me, I think he's too scared to come out and he has a lot to lose if he does. It was a bad idea to even let him flirt with me, I should of just ignored it but I was 18 and had never had anyone flirt with me before.

I guess it's my fault too for flirting back with him. I'd prefer to be away from him now, I always get upset being around him, as soon as I came back to work to see him I instantly felt down. I love him but I feel too much pain from seeing him.

I don't even think I will be considering a homosexual relationship after this, I'm pretty fed up with it. I think I'm going to take a walk on the straight side lol, at least having a girl won't be so consuming as this guy has been to me. At least a girl can be honest that she loves me rather than being closeted and having to pretend that she loves me, I don't want to play games anymore and I'm not letting another Gay married man even waste my time.

#12 BearLover, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013