1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dad's Against Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KayN, Dec 7, 2013.

1. KayN

Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently found out that my dad doesn't accept homosexuality.

I've only come out to my best friend and my brother, so I don't really have anybody to talk to. My brother's too busy and it's really awkward talking to my best friend, who has problems of her own.

During lunch, we were joking around as a family and then there was some play with words. Before I knew it, my dad said in a lowered voice, "That means G-A-Y..." My brother said that he shouldn't put it like that, and that gay meant happy, trying to make the situation playful again. And then it happened. My dad said something along the lines of being gay's not okay, although he didn't say why. It's a relief that my mom said that she doesn't mind, but then my dad said, "It's just not okay!" My brother, who came out to, asked my dad as a 'joke', "What if she was gay?" My dad denied it and said, "I think she's smart enough to not be gay!", and laughed. It hurt me so bad, so I stood up and left, saying that I had to do my homework. Now, I don't know what to do. I'm lucky to be able to say that I haven't really struggled with accepting myself, but the problem is that my dad doesn't accept homosexuality. I'm afraid to come out to the rest of my family now, knowing that he doesn't accept this. :help:

2. burg

hey sorry he was ignorant.and dont feel alone we all have these stories.as for coming out dont feel pressured if you judge you would be in a worse situation for it.i know it sucks hiding an important part of who we are. but if you think you would be better off coming out when you are out of home etc .dont feel guilty about it.

as for your dad.as much as it hurts hearing stuff like that from friends or family.i find it hurts less if i remember they have proberly spent far less time understanding lgbt issues and are victims themselves of either or both bad logic and poor information gained during there life.
    hope he comes around one day it happens a lot.and it sounds like you would break his model of what gay people are like.hugs anyway

3. redsoxgrl34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just because your dad doesn't except your homosexuality doesn't mean that you that you are exiled or anything like that. I've had the same problem with my mom being unaccepting. Basically do what you want, that is overall what will make your life. Your parents may be unaccepting for awhile or maybe even forever, but if you don't live your life then you'll be unhappy forever. You should make yourself happy first and then come to terms with everyone else later.

4. KayN

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, you guys. I've been thinking about it since, and I've been worried. It's great to know that I'm not alone and have people to let my worries out to here.

5. UG Scorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Come out to him and let him moan and groan about it its your life not his sorry to sound horrible but u have to stand up to people in your life