1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i just found out about a lie

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by livi, Dec 8, 2013.

1. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out on wednesday
    i seemed to get a great reaction
    i just found out today that my mum actually took it horribly and started blaming herself and how ive been brought up!

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom was pretty shaken--not that she didn't approve or loved me any less, but it hit her really hard. I wrote an email to my parents and sister a week after I came out to them, when I was back at school, explaining that this is just as much a part of me as my eye color, love for sports, and having ADHD. All of those things are pretty natural parts of who I am. She never said anything to me about the email, but I know she talked to my dad and sister about it.

Just give her time to adjust. You can do what I did and subtly encourage her to continue the dialogue but don't force it on her.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember, your mom is going through the standard steps of loss (of you as a straight person), but hopefully her love for you will overcome it and she will come to accept it. You should definitely tell her not to blame herself or think this is even blameworthy.

4. karina

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think her reaction is probably the same when you first realize who you really are. Honestly, she is going through the same thing you did before. All you can do is to give her the time she needs, and give her some space to sort things out.