1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Fake Girlfriend" dilemma

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GingerGuy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

Let's get into a bit into my backstory: I have a female friend, whom I've known for seven years só far. We spent a lot of time without talking to each other, but reconciled on late 2012 and have been great friends in everything. She helps me when I'm depressed, and I tell her everything about my life, including details about my sexual orientation and desires. However, until this week, my parents had never met her.

It all changed on Friday, when we went to church to celebrate thanksgiving, and this friend met my mother and made a good impression on her. When I got home, my dad, after being told of the story, advised me to date her, because, according to him, she likes me as more than a friend.

The next day, I told her the story, and since she has always wanted me to date her (but never acted upon it because she knows I will never correspond), she offered herself to pretend we are dating, if my parents keep insisting on it. I think this will be an extremely harsh and complicated plan, since I don't want to do it and covering the lie up will take a tremendous amount of effort.

The thing is, I'll only agreed on her plan if my parents keep insisting on it. If they gradually fade out with this ridiculous proposition over time, I will just abandon the idea. I plan on coming out to my mom next year, and regret going to church with my friend. If this had never happened, I wouldn't be in such a dilemma.

What should I do?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This can't possibly end well. You're not being true to yourself or to her.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Jesus no, don't do this, Ginger. I don't know how open you are with your parents, or what the relationship is like, or even if you're anywhere near ready to do this, but this may be a good time to come out.

4. I think this is a bad idea, especially if that friend has feelings for you. You'll be giving her false hope, and she'll probably end up getting hurt.

Just tell your parents that you only like her as a friend and that you get to decide whom you date for yourself. They don't get a say.

5. Danny19

Trust me, this is a bad idea. I know because i did something like this. After my mom asked if one of my close friends was my girlfriend. I never confirmed it, but also didn't deny it. Well it spread like wildfire to everyone we knew. It was really annoying considering i couldn't go a day without someone in my family asking about our relationship or getting told to be safe and not get her pregnant. awkward. I got annoyed so i told everyone we broke up, but since we still hang out a lot they don't believe me and still ask about her. Anyways, I'm with everyone else on this. Don't do it. You will regret it. i did. I think you should just tell them that you guys are friends and that its weird cuz you see her like family. idk. Just be up front with them.