1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents Crossing the Line

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So when my parents visited, my Mum asked if I used a infamous gay hooking up app (that I don't) since someone was caught in the news using it. She then went rummaging around my place and noticed I had a load of condoms and lube (which is hardly a bad thing)

Being 23 I wonder if its my Mum's business and she is crossing the line completely.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asking if you use an app, fair enough. Going through your stuff? Hell no. Too far. You wouldn't go through her bedroom if you visited home, would you?

3. Goodnyte

It is none of your mom's business. You are a grown man now and she is crossing the line. Now, she was/is probably worried about you because of it. However, that doesn't give her the right to rummage around your place

4. flymetothemoon

Asking about the app might be okay depending on your relationship with her, but rummaging through your stuff was definitely out of line. I would explain to her that this is your home and you want her to come visit, but you really need her to respect your space and your privacy. Let her know it made you feel uncomfortable to know she was going through your things, and maybe explain it as that it would be like if you went to her house and started going through her dresser drawers.

5. youre 23 she shouldnt be invading your privacy like youre a 16 year old who is yet to turn 18 :\
    she crossed the line imo.

6. Daydream Harp

Yeah that is pretty much crossing the line 3 times in a row while singing a song about how crossing lines is a hobby. I would say to tell her directly that you are not a kid anymore and that she has no right in going through the stuff in your private house without your permission, and that she should respect your privacy. You can also tell her that just because something bad happened in the news to someone who is gay/queer/what you prefer it doesn't mean it will happen to you and that she should stop worrying so much. You might want to word it differently though to avoid fights and such.

7. Silver Sparrow

Your mom should be glad you have protection. And yeah, it was a total invasion of your privacy and you two should have a talk.

8. phoebe

asking you if you usd the app yes. going through your stuff no

9. GraveDigger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's just not on. A caustic person like myself would've asked her to start paying rent for the privilege to inspect my stuff!