1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents, specifically my dad

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by stumble along, Dec 8, 2013.

1. stumble along

Hi guys

this semester in college has been really rough for me in studio, mainly because Ive been sick since mid september and only last week ive been actually able to expect myself to do things in a timely manner.
    currently im taking a light semester course this year (thank god.) its only 12 credits, the minimum for being a full time student. im taking a history course, a spanish course, and my studio course, which takes up half those credits.

as of now i can probably get As in my two smaller classes, but im so behind in studio (architecture stops for no one) that i have accepted an incomplete for that, finish what i have left to do over the winter break, get my shit together and ace these 2 finals, and rock next semester, (im already developing a battle plan, since im already getting better, i only have to worry about my depression which comes and goes, and was the cause of much trouble my second semester last year)

thing is, over thanksgiving break, i was still under the hope of "I can do this i can do this" and my parents thought no question I was going to do it. the problem is that now ive told my dad that I want to take the incomplete to try and get an A in studio, otherwise i get a B-. i shouldnt have lied about the grade (if i didnt take it i would most likely fail) and just said what was going to happen.

needless to say he was not pleased, second semester my depression caused me to come out to him via email, which was a neutral response, and i ended up getting a D in one class (Which i can and will make up senior year, no consequences other than it showing in my record, at that point it wont even be calculated in GPR) while still maintaining Bs and As in every other class ive taken so far. he basically told me through the phone that I either come back home with 3 As or Bs. or I dont come back at all ( which is ridiculous since he already put 500$ into study abroad junior year, but nevertheless it hurts)

he sent me a series of texts which i will post through my phone

2. stumble along

Dad: If you have a B as you been telling me all along then you should take that grade and move on. You always have an excuse for everything. If you can not even pass 12 credits you don't need to be there wasting money. If you are worry about nailing the other two classes you would not be going out instead o f studying and planing to be taking trips in the middle of the week before test. But you are an adult and need to take responsibility at some point. I been patience and supporting but I am getting tire. Since you can't talk then do what ever you want and I will do what I have to.

Then he sent this like 20 minutes ago and I lost my shit

Dad: Good luck on your test tomorrow and Friday. I am leaving for the airport. I guess we will talk Saturday. Push hard and finish strong. Love you

Me: Look, this is going to be a very long talk and I'm probably going to get very upset, I'd much rather do this after my last final on Tuesday night and so my professor has time to tell me my real grade if I don't take the incomplete. I don't need to worry about these finals which is why I was with my friends yesterday, I've been studying all day for Spanish and tomorrow I study all day for arch history.

That was to a missed call, then I read the text

Me: No, you can't just turn around and say that after you basically told me i was finished here if I didn't come back with 3 grades, I have no idea what you're talking about with me having an excuse, I have yet to get anything other than As and B's except for English which I can retake with no penalty what so ever my senior year. First semester I came back with a 3.5 which statistically I should not have gotten because freshman suck their first semester. Architecture students mostly graduate under a 3.0 and I think I'm making a fucking great effort despite the crap I dealt with second semester and this stupid stomach issue I've had since the beginning of this semester. This reaction I'm getting from you is precisely why I don't like talking about anything with either you or mom because I'm trying to get help and instead I get yelled at and threatened and it makes everything worse

Dad: Ok, when is the last final, Tuesday? I don't want you to be upset, I just want you to understand my position. Relax study, finish strong and we talk When you are done

Me: You've already done the damage this has been looming in the back of my head since you talked to me, I understand your situation, honestly if I didn't know what I was going through I would not hesitate cutting me off, I might have done it even if I did know. Thing is you say you want to know what's going on but you make it impossible for me to tell you. This semester I got really sick, the other classes accommodated me and architecture didnt, they offered me a chance and I want to take it

Dad: If you get a B you don't have to do it, if it is going to be below that them we will talk. I know you got sick but you need to understand that in life most of the time you won't get second chances and that you have to push even When you are tire or sick. I know you and is going to be difficult for y ou to work on the summer. What do you mean cutting you off? Don't hurt yourself

Me: I don't know what I'm going to get, like I said the grades don't get updates and it still says B, they get updates tomorrow and I will know then. I know we don't get second chances, and there's one staring me right in the face. I know I can be pretty slack at times but interns and studio are different, studio we go until it's done interns you go until you're supposed to stop and go home and pick it up the next day And taking me out of college is basically cutting me off, first it's going to take a very long time for me to forgive you for doing it and second I'll be stuck doing a minimum wage job for the rest of my life living as a husk.
    I'm not going to hurt myself I'm trying to study right now

Dad: Ok, good luck and let me know the grade when you get it tomorrow. Then we will figure out

3. stumble along

4. Sully

I'm confused :/ sounds like he's being relatively supportive? I agree that any parent that takes their child out of college is seriously idiotic.

5. AnonymousForeve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That depends on what their child is majoring in. There are plenty of people who would probably be better off spending their time learning a specific trade through an apprenticeship or trade school than going to college for a BA.

Either way, I would definitely say that it's completely disrespectful because their child is seen as an adult in the eye of the law and should therefore be allowed to make important life decisions on their own, but parents should try to educate their children about the possible career choices they have in life and what it takes to obtain certain jobs.