1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrote this email to my Dad, not sent it yet

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by slimred, Dec 10, 2013.

1. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this will help me in any way. I guess I just need to send it somewhere and have someone read it before I consider sending it. It's a bit weird to me posting something this personal on an Internet forum so I've changed a few minor details.

Background (will help with understanding the letter): I'm in the UK. He lives in the US, and re-married after my Mum passed away some years ago. We get on reasonably well these days but there's been some history that isn't good. He's also quite conservative but not religious, and has at least some anti gay views. I'm out to my brother. Also I was going through depression and the end of university at the same time which is when I came out to myself.

I guess any tips on where I could improve it would be helpful? I'm not sure really... but here goes...

2. Nihonokage

I think that things like this (although it's tempting) can't be "doctored" (if you know what I mean). Something like this, that is so personal and so close to home needs to be filled with emotion and well YOU. I personally think that your Dad needs to hear your words and not the words of someone else. If you know what I'm getting at? :slight_smile:

3. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I know, that is a point I'd considered. Someone advised me to post it after I talked about it in another thread. I don't know if it's going to help to be honest, but I decided there was no harm in throwing it up there if it had a chance of helping me sort my head out in some way and make a decision whether to send it or not. It's all so frustrating... :bang:

4. Nihonokage

Well I would say send it :slight_smile:

5. PDUff

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, definitely a powerful letter. Although I've been out since my early 20s, I have a friend who I think might be having a similar struggle. I told him my motivation was simple: I'd rather be wrong and risk offending him than be right and not say anything, and then he goes on to struggle with his identity for years (he just turned 27). I say sit on it for a few days and then if you still feel it's time, send it. It comes off to me as very sincere.