1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making that first move

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jwis, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jwis

I may just be looking for more moral support here then advice, but any advice would be great too.

There is this one guy at my gym who I am pretty sure is gay. We have become 'gym buddies' over the past 6 or 7 months. We talk about a lot of things, mostly about our marathon training, work, races, etc.. Never about relationships or other personal stuff.

He has, at least I think given me numerous reasons to believe that he is flirting with me. Or at least seeing what my response would be. Problem is I'm very shy with expressing my emotions to people I have this irrational fear of rejection. (irrational in my case, I have experienced little rejection in my life)

I think I would become quite awkward flirting with him, I've never done it before, with a guy at least. To be honest I have no idea what to do.

It would probably be best just to ask him if he is seeing anyone (maybe he is.. I don't think so though).

What would you do... I think I just need to man up and make the first move! I think he has made his intentions somewhat clear... But I could be completely wrong.

ugh I need to move to a city where there are actually people!

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you only see him in a gym? That's probably part of the problem. Try to hang out somewhere "normal" like going out for lunch or coffee, or even some entertainment, anything so that you can become better friends. You could even go to the same race, which would be a nice bonding experience. Basically, when you're spending some alone time, you two will naturally get into talking about personal things, not only romantic relationships but also family/friends. You could even use an external event, like someone's wedding, as a lead-in to asking about his own relationship status.

3. UIOP

What resu just said in their reply above sounds like good advice to me.

What I wanted to say was that you should go for it. Perhaps you should maybe say something to test the waters a bit more first though (just to be more sure that they are gay/bi/interested). But I think you should go for it! The main regret I have is that I am in a similar position with a crush on a male friend who is showing signs of potentially being interested... but I am too scared to do anything. If you are comfortable, it might be cool to take things further with your friend. Good luck!