1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling thankful.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SongshiQuan, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello All,

I'm just feeling really excited, happy, and thankful. Now almost 8 months after being diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma my mother is being discharged from the hospital. She's spent the last 2.5 months in there getting extensive chemo and radiation. A little over a month ago she had a stem cell transplant. This form of cancer doesn't really respond well to "traditional" treatment methods and it was stage IV when they found it.

It's been a hard couple of months, as she had to go to the ICU and be put on the ventilator for a couple weeks. She had some complications but it's finally starting to look like she's coming out on the other side. She still can't go home, but she's moving into on-campus apartments so that she can go to the cancer clinic and get daily check-ups. However, her white blood cell count has come back into the normal range and she's sorta got an immune system again. I'm just really happy for her..I had to move away before she went into the hospital for work and it's been really hard not being able to be there as much as I want to. But it looks like bright days ahead!:slight_smile:

Thanks for reading.

2. BlueLines

I wish your mom the best of luck, glad to hear that she is doing better.
    I lost a few grandparents to cancer and I could not imagine what it would be like to loose my mom to it too...

I hope she fully recovers soon!

3. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, BlueLines. I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents, I've lost other relatives to cancer as well. However, they were older and mostly had other health problems too. It was kind of a shock 'cause she felt fine and it was really advanced when they did find it. But it looks like she's on the other side of things now and can start the recovery process. Thanks again for your well-wishes.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good to hear she's getting better. Cancer is a very scary thing.

5. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So glad to hear positive news :slight_smile: