1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I just got asked out on my first date with a guy...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Skov, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Skov

But I said no. I mean the guy is hot and seems pretty nice, but I just don't know if I'm comfortable enough with myself yet to date someone. Like, I feel so inexperienced with guys (because I am), but every time I have a chance to get experience, I back out. Anyways, I saved his number, but I just have this nagging feeling I should have said yes. Anyone else feel similar before their first date with a guy?

2. VioletXena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've never been asked out by a girl, but I feel you. I definitely feel like I'm not prepared for that sort of thing happening. I've been some degree of out for a little over four years, yet I don't feel completely ready to date. Just be patient with yourself. Follow your gut. If you regret turning him down, you can still call him to say you've changed your mind.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could still go out with him for something simple like a movie or just lunch/coffee and just tell him you are nervous and unsure about being in a relationship. He should understand how it feels being inexperienced. Also, you could learn how to be comfortable being with him as just a friend.

4. Heun

I think the above notes are pretty spot on. Perhaps give him a call or shoot him a text asking about going out for a meal or even a movie if you're still having mixed feelings on it. Do whatever you are comfortable with though.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with going on a date even if you're not sure about it turning into something serious. Being shy and newly out myself, I can totally get where you're coming from on this.

6. Skov

Thanks everyone. I saved his number, so maybe I'll talk to him when the next semester starts.

7. Aldrick

Setting all your current feelings aside, do you want to go out on a date with him? If the answer is yes, you should call him and say yes - not next semester, but now.

Your fear tells you that you should say no because you're inexperienced with guys. How are you going to gain experience with guys? By actually taking that first step and dating a guy. Your fear tells you that you're not comfortable with yourself enough to date a guy. How do you get more comfortable with yourself? By being yourself.

It's okay to be afraid and uncertain. It's not okay to let that fear and uncertainty control you. If your fear and concerns didn't exist, would you want to date him? Then do it. Really, what's the worst that can happen?

Just call him up and be honest an upfront: "Hey, it's me Skov, do you got a minute? You do? Great. I wanted to talk to you about what went down the other day, and let you know that I've changed my mind. If you're still interested, I'd like to go out and do something sometime. It's just that I've never done anything like this before, and I'm kinda nervous and uncertain. But you seem like a really great guy, and the more I thought about it the more I realized saying no was pretty stupid. So, if you're still interested, I'm open to going out and doing whatever."

Boom. There you go. That's all you really need to say. Maybe the guy turns out to be a major jerk, and you regret saying yes. Maybe you fall in love and he breaks your heart. Maybe it only turns into a casual fling. Whatever happens, you're going to grow and learn from this experience. You're going to get the experience with guys that you think you lack, and you're going to grow more comfortable with yourself. Those two things are pretty much guaranteed... but to get those two things, you have to be willing to take that first scary step.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I second what Aldrick posted...and let's face it: hot guys who are nice do not grow on trees! :grin:

9. Skov

Thanks everyone. I think I may be just letting my fear get the best of me.

10. Sarene

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't let your fears control your life...I'm 18 and had dates before my actual girlfriend but it was always awkward and I felt like a beginner and like it wasn't right everytime... When I went on my first date with my girlfriend, I was sooooooooooooooo stressed and nervous and I had kissed before but I felt so bad at it, didn't know should I touch her should I not... but I just went with it, she was leading a little, understanding I wasn't "used" to all that... and she is now my girlfriend of soon one year! Trust yourself ! Go with it!

BUT, like Aldrick said, say yes if you do in your heart, want to go out with him !

11. PalestrinaMX

Maybe it's just the "butterflies" feeling. You should call him.

12. SixtusKelevra

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's perfectly normal to be nervous. It will take some time to feel comfortable with him. I suggest you call him and watch a movie or eat lunch. Tell him that you're nervous, and I'm sure he'll understand. Do not put great pressure on yourself. Starting off as friends is the best stepping stone. :slight_smile: Good luck!

13. sammy1

Just call him, see what happens, that's what I would do and i don't have any dating experience either but if a cute girl that I am into asked me out I would say somthing like 'yah I'd love too, let's grab a coffee/hot cocoa'

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2013 at 11:11 PM ----------

But yah I don't blame u for being nervous, I would b nervous as well. I've always liked the idea of meeting someone and becoming good friends first and then dating/relationship later