1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time seeing family in a year...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rainbow Music, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Rainbow Music

My family and I have no conflicts. I've been out to them since 9th grade, which was four and a half years ago. That's not what I'm worried about. I just moved to San Francisco in July to finish my schooling, and I announced over Facebook that I had a boyfriend. I even posted pictures of him and I together in front of the Golden Gate Bridge. Most of the people on my Facebook are from my church. Some of them from my church accept me for who I truly am, and said that they already knew. But for the rest of them, like my pastor and everybody else. I'm almost scared to face them, but at the same time I'm ready, because this is who I am. God made me this way. But I was just wondering if any of you guys knew what I could say to them or anything that I could to let them know that I'm still the same person I was a year ago. Granted I may be have grown up a lot. Physically, mentally, and emotionally, But other than that I'm the same person. They just know something knew about me.

EDIT: By the way I forgot to mention the fact that I'm going home on Friday, December 20th. So I'll be going home in 6 days. So I'll be facing them here soon.

2. HopeFloats

Talk authentically about your life but don't turn every conversation into a chance to prove something. Have conversations with these people. If you have a church in San Francisco, you might mention that. Or whatever activities that you used to do back home that you now do in SF - that's a way to demonstrate continuity of character without saying "I'm the same person".

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2013 at 07:28 PM ----------

What I mean by "have conversations" is don't talk "at" them. Don't make everything a monologue about your new life in SF.