1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend came out to me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LongMayIReign, Dec 14, 2013.

1. LongMayIReign

I find it so ironic that I can't fathom an answer to this question ... But how do I reply to a friend that just came out to me? (I'm still kinda in shock so preapologies for lack of cohesiveness.)

There's a group of four kids in my grade, including myself, who are revamping our school's GSA. We only began this project past week and today I received an email from one the boys, K, who I'm working with. We'd been discussing organizations to model after and he kept bringing up It Gets Better (I assumed it was because he has always been bullied because he went through puberty really young and has become sort of depressed over it.)

Today (well late last night) he emails me saying that he's not sure if I know this, but he's gay (and then just continued the brainstorming of ideas.) Obviously I don't have a problem with I'm just at a loss of words for a response. I want to reply soon because I always hated those moments after coming out but Gah I have no idea what to say and I don't want to out myself just yet and I'm really happy that I'm not the only one but I just. I'll just stop ranting now.

So what do I say?

2. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    just tell him your fine with that and your still his friend I know personally that's the scariest part is waiting after coming out so just tell him how you really feel about it don't lie as that will destroy your guys friendship

3. StephenSC

Personally, I know everyone is different when it comes to these things, I'd like people to be normal with me. (I've not come out, I'm not sure I've got a reason to yet, but think that's what I'd like)

Acknowledge the topic, say something supportive (maybe what you said "glad I'm not the only one" or something like that) but then just move on to being EXACTLY how you normally would. Make sure you don't change how you interact, and don't make it all about the "gay" thing (if you do want to talk about it, have questions or whatever, wait awhile for him to be more comfortable with it), show him you still think the same of him.

Just my opinion. I do think honesty goes a long way, perhaps just tell him you had/have trouble finding a way to reply that was going to make him know how much it doesn't bother you and makes him feel comfortable.

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone