1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parent don't approve of homosexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Andstillimhere7, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My parents don't approve of homosexuality and it's scary because I want to marry a guy. Does anyone know how to fake own death?

2. dapulu

Hey there :grin:

Um...Why would you want to fake your own dead?

3. todddaniels

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Approval and acceptance are two different things.

Acceptance isn't an option, while approval is.

I don't approve of random acts of violence. But I must accept that such things exist.

4. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I want to fake my own death so that way I can live far away without them knowing

5. Nihonokage

Faking your own death may be a bit drastic. Why don't you instead tell them that your gay and if they don't take it well then try giving them some space for a while, (I know I'm not much help) but I've heard that people can become accepting of homosexuality if their children are GLBT. It could just be that they have a skewed/ inaccurate image of what homosexuality is. But obviously don't do anything if it puts you in certain danger. Who knows your parents might be happy for you :slight_smile:

6. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Doubt it, by comparison I'm the "perfect child" so it's scary and they'll be diss appointed in me.

7. Mr.Pushover

You know what would be worse than their disappointment? Their grief and anxiety over thinking their own child might be dead. Don't do this to them. If you come out to them and they show support for you then you'll be questioning why you ever thought this was a good idea! You need to tell them at some point and you will have to point out to them that this wasn't your choice, it's the way you were made, and add that you still need them in your life (you do, you're technically still a minor).

Most importantly, do not fake your own death. That is much too extreme, and even if you are their "perfect child" I think you can live a normal life with them if you do the right thing. You're valuable to your family.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's another piece to this, in addition to what everyone else has said.

If you fake your own death... you'll be living a lie. And that creates incredible shame. You'll be living every day with the idea that you caused your parents unimaginable pain to avoid being authentic with them about who you are.

You won't be able to be happy because you'll feel terrible about what you did, and you'll miss them.

My guess, based on what you've said, is that they may not, initially, take it well that you are gay. However, from what we've seen over the years here at EC, the overwhelming majority of parents, even those who are vehemently opposed to their children being gay, is that they come around. They realize that given a choice between their religious beliefs and their children, they would rather have their children.

And for you, the cost of the shame you feel from doing such a thing is going to stand in the way of your ever having a healthy and happy life.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In addition to what Chip said, not only is doing this very straining on the mind, it's incredibly hard to pull off, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal. The US government does something similar in order to help people who are threatened by criminals with the Witness Protection Program, but they wouldn't do such a thing just to make life as a gay person easier.

I think you're planning way over the top of this problem. If you are worried that your parents will kick you out/cut you off if they find out, it's best to wait to tell them until you have other means of living. But barring that extreme bad reaction, you are better off just telling them. Whether they like it or not, you are still their kid, and they will deal.

10. Gingerblond93

I would have to imagine that your parents would much rather have their healthy, alive and loving gay son around then their straight son dead. I really agree with some of the other comments here. That over time your parents will accept and love you as their son. They may initially react harshly, even be somewhat distant from you, as they themselves absorb and try to underhand your sexuality.

However, at the end of the day, your their son, your the same son they loved since birth. And they will continue to love the boy they brought into the world and some day even perhaps accept and love their son's husband when your lucky enough to marry the man of your dreams.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's better just to become independent of them, even if that means moving away. You're going to be in college soon, which will be the perfect opportunity.

12. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    True that faking death is drastic but I'm scared to confront them

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone I knew swore he'd never come out to his parents. (He'd recently turned 18 when I met him.) We had a number of conversations about it over the ensuing years, and by the time he was 22 or 23, he'd decided that it was appropriate to tell them. He, too, was convinced they wouldn't be ok with it... immigrant parents who worked hard and were pretty judgmental... but actually they took it remarkably well and once a couple of months had passed, they were fine with it.

I'd suggest you wait on telling them. if you're genuinely concerned. Once you're on your own and not dependent on them, it will look a lot easier.