1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad says he's not homophobic but.....

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HermioneGaynger, Dec 16, 2013.

1. So here is the gist. I'm out to my dad as being bisexual (even though I'm now positive I'm a lesbian). Hell always crack gay jokes and talks about how being gay is a "choice" and that I should choose the right path so I don't go to hell (I'm athiest). On the other hand when I ask if he is homophobic, he says no and that he would accept me if I was gay. So I decided to ask if I could join the local lgbtq youth group and he said no because, and I quote, "I don't want it to make you go full gay.". I really need someone to relate to which was why I was going to go to the group in the first place. He also won't let me have a girlfriend until I'm 18, but wouldn't give a damn if I had a boyfriend. I'm so annoyed and frustrated and I have no idea what to do. I'm tired of being so alone. What should I do, if there is anything I can do, to help maybe change his mind?:tears:

2. Sunshine Cries

Oh, jeez...

Hermione, I know this situation too well. I deal with a family like this, who also refer to me as straight despite my... Well... Queerness.
    The only thing I can say for you to do is just wait it out. I mean, you have three and a half years left, maybe less, until you graduate and are legally your own person. And yeah, it's gonna be shit, but the wait will be worth it.
    Also, your parents really don't have to know about who you date. The last two relationships I've been in have been closeted, and while my ex is a lying skank, I've never been happier since I started my current one. Just know when to lie and when to not.
    Wow, that was perfect advice for creating a sociopath. Cheers!
    If all else fails, just bombard him with any psychology article on homosexuality. Can't go wrong with brain facts. :slight_smile:
    Hope this helps,
    ~Sunshine

3. Thanks. Doubt I'll find a nice queer chick in catholic school. But you never know.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You would be surprised...

5. TheMightyBoosh

I know how you feel...my parents both very homophobic and will deny it. My mum says she'd accept me for whatever I am as did my dad and both still make homophobic comments. :/ I hate it... I hate hearing them be mean about people for their sexuality or their gender. It makes me very upset.

If you told him you are a lesbian I can't guarantee that it'll change his mind about how he feels but maybe explain how much you want him to accept you and how much it upsets you to have him say those things..It might help. Maybe a letter if you don't feel so confident in speaking to him directly like that.

I try and ignore my parents or family members who say stuff like that, sometimes it's really hard to though.

I hope thing's get better..