1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm attracted to guys who don't make good LTR partners

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ZeroBlue, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ZeroBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure how else to put this, so perhaps putting it bluntly might be more effective.

Basically I am frustrated because I would like to eventually find myself with a nice guy who is kind, caring, sophisticated and stable. A real gentleman with class. (loyal and honest as well of course)

The problem is that I have met a couple of these "nice guys" (though I haven't dated them). And they don't turn me on all that much, very little in fact. On the other hand I get very turned on by guys who are more the loud, high-energy, high-sexdrive kind of guys.

Putting it bluntly, I am turned on by slutty/whorish guys, and not so much turned on by the "nice guys".

But I don't want to like the slutty guys. I dated a couple of them and they were a lot of fun, but they were awful partners. They were needy, selfish, inconsiderate, unreasonable and untrustworthy. :confused:

Can anyone relate to this? Any similar experiences, thoughts and/or advice?

#1 ZeroBlue, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey ZeroBlue, welcome to EC!

I don't know...some of these "ordinary" guys, if given the chance, will probably try a little harder to be what you're looking for. All you need to do is find some good thing you like about them give 'em a chance! You may be surprised at what these seemingly "ordinary" guys can do!

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OP, I'd like to see numbers on the coupling rates in the gay community to begin with. I'd bet they're not as high as one might think. I think they are higher for lesbians, from what I can see.

A lot of guys want options, for as long as they can enjoy them. If you like the more "whorish" guys, it sounds like you like the fleeting aspect of the sex. Also, is "whorish" more of a gym devoted, tatted up, menacing look? Or is it a behavior? Reason is that some of the bookish guys actually fare better in technique. You'd be surprised. Also, some of the more wholesome bookish guys aren't LT material, either. Their being clean cut doesn't mean they're emotionally available. Either way, I'd like to see some stats on viable relationships in the GLBT community. Many seem to like shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to a someone who might be good for them. It's all over the map.

4. ZeroBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the responses. Tightrope what do you mean by "coupling rates"?

And I'll try to give you a better idea of what I mean (but I struggled to keep it as short as possible). When I say "nice guy" I also largely mean someone who, like me, was not into casually sleeping around too much, and again big emphasis on loyalty and honest.

When I say whorish I mean... errr...umm... power bottoms? guys who can't get enough cock, worship it, looove it. The first guy I dated was like this, though I wasn't looking for that at all, I was very naive, he chased me really hard and offered unbelievable sex. I think him acting this way in the bedroom... made me feel powerful or something. (I hope that makes sense).

Anyways without going into a lot more detail, it turns out that him loving cock so much meant that he could never have enough. He could never be loyal. Nor did he want to allow me to sleep with others either. He wanted to sleep around but he wanted me all to himself, so he lied. This happened with 2 guys. I tried being careful, but I work a lot so it was easy for them to hide it for a long time. And they were expert liars.

Solution? If they act whorish like that, or if they are really flirty/attention craving personalities, they likely could never be loyal to any one guy. So stay away from those kinds of personalities. Simple, good place to start right?

Problem: I now seem be most attracted to these personalities (for some fucked up reason). This whorish behavior is what gets me really excited sexually. Where as the nicer, more polite, stable and shy guys don't seem to excite me in the bedroom. I really really wish this wasn't the case be cause I could never be happy with someone like the first couple guys I dated.

The best sex in the world can't fix a broken relationship that is filled with dishonesty.

"Many seem to like shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to a someone who might be good for them." This probably applies to me.

Hope that made it a bit clearer.

5. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How old are you?
    So it's definitely the "impulsive and sex-driven" personality that really turns you on? Not just the physical characteristics that often go along with that type of personality?
    Hmm :/
    That's tricky... in my opinion, there will be some really nice guys out there that can get super horny as well... I'm sure you can find someone who will work for you, just keep looking

6. ZeroBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 27. I am thinking (well, hoping) that this attraction to impulsive, sex-driven personalities might go away in time.

My biggest fear is that it seems since I met these guys, they seem to be the only kinds of guys who I get excited (hard) thinking about. I get very little excitement at thinking about sex with a polite, stable guy that I can respect. (this never used to be the case)

I'm not going to keep trying to make a relationship work with the whorish guys because that will only lead to more of the same.

I would love to give it a shot with a nice guy like Greatwhale said. I just hope that I don't run into problems in the bedroom.

Thanks for any input.

7. Pat

Pat

You'll find someone that has the edgy aspect that you like. Just have to be patient really. There's tons of guys that can be more "freaky" in bed, and present themselves more conservatively. You really just have to practice some self control. Let a period of courtship unwind with one of the types that you think you're less attracted to. And you may find that balance that you'd like, i.e. Someone who can have a more kinky side and a professional demeanor elsewhere. It's not a requirement of mine personally, but it is an idea that I've flirted with. I like the idea of knowing aspects of a person no one else would know unless they were intimate with the guy.. You have a better chance of molding someone in the bedroom than you would have molding their personalities. A lot of the time, a parter who is loyal and caring will want to satisfy you in the bedroom. It's a fine line for me there though because I think sex should also be..."respectful"? i.e., not asking your partner to do demeaning things in the bedroom. To each his own though. I think it's very likely that you can find a dude that will be the kind of kinky you like and also be loyal. You may also want to self evaluate yourself and make sure that you're emotionally available. Hope this helps in some way.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^This. What Pat said is very true. Most people start with the assumption that there has to be sexual attraction first, then the emotional attraction. While this may be true in most cases, sometimes it's the reverse, and then arousal becomes possible because of the emotional connection.

And, as Pat said, practice and experimentation over the long-term are more likely from a guy who is loyal to you and who wants to make you happy by giving you some say in how the sex will be.

9. Daydream Harp

Well it does exist gentlemen that can have a high sexual drive still, so with some luck you might bump into someone like that, it's hard to know before you are in a relationship really. If you end up with a nice guy who isn't as wild as you want, perhaps you could bring it up to him if he would be okay with roleplay in the bedroom for example?