1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family not speaking to me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dano218, Dec 19, 2013.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few months ago me and my boyfriend moved far away from our families and communities in minnesota and are now living in charleston wv. My family is catholic and accepts my sexuality and my mom recently asked me in a email if me and my bf are attending church and I said no and nicely explained that we are Christians but we do not believe in organized religion anymore. Ever since than my family has ignored me and not talked to me since.

I am so fed up. My older sister does not accepts my sexuality and her and her catholic husband barely attend church. They always make excuses for her and let her do as she pleases. When I do something wrong or against my parents I am given a double standard.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry about this. You could point out the double standard, but ultimately I would suggest trying to focus on your own life and getting better. One of my biggest fears in coming out is rejection from my family (also Catholic), but I know that a lot of them are hypocrites. It's your family's loss if they push you away. Also, you might check if they're getting pressure from other relatives or people in their parish about you; though, they should have been standing up for you.

I think it's harder with Catholics because some of them have the extreme view that if you're not in the Church, you are ostracized no matter what your beliefs are.