1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cash, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Cash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi. I just recently accepted the fact that i am and will always be gay. My whole life has been a struggle. I am (still) a Christian and have believed all my life that I was wrong and needed to be fixed. Just recently have I rejected that lie. However, I have two very religious parents who still believe that homosexuality is a sin. I just told my mom today, and she had a disconcerting reaction. She said how much she loves me, but that my feelings are perverse and sinful and that I need to pray and ask forgiveness and seek help within the church to rid myself of these wrong feelings. I was very emotional and i think she thought that I was ashamed and wanted help. I did make the terrible mistake of replying yes when she asked if I would take the gay away if someone could magically do it with a snap.:bang: I was practically hysterical. I know now that i wasn't truly ready to come out to her. However, now I have the problem of convincing her and my father that I don't want nor need any help. I just want them to realize that I only have the choice to either love myself or hate myself, not to be gay or not. I need help with this dilemma. How can I reconcile my spiritual beliefs with my homosexuality? Will they ever come around? How do I get them to realize that this is just the way I am and that I just want to be how God created me? Sorry for rambling, I just have a lot of things on my mind. :icon_sad:

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I myself am an agnostic atheist...
    I know that there are plenty of Christians in your situation.
    In fact, there are some of them in this forum.
    The King James version of the Bible stays very faithful to the original texts (which were translated from Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic language).
    Gay Christian 101 is probably a good website to show them.

#2 An Gentleman, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I, myself, was in your position a couple months ago. Having two parents that are completely against me being gay. It took them a few months but they came around (haven't accepted it but know they cannot change me.)

Here's my reply to another man's post:

I was conflicted on my orientation because I am a Christian also and thought that God hated homosexuals because of all the hate that is received by the religious community. But you know what I found out? God is a loving person and would never look down upon homosexuals because of the way they were born. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the bible says something like you are worth more than many sparrows and even the hairs on your head are numbered. That sounds like a loving God. John 3:16 "For God, so loved the world that he sent his ONLY son...", his ONLY son. That sounds like a loving God to me also.

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry that you are dealing with this. As a Christian can somewhat understand how you feel. A couple good verses to look to

Romans 8:38-39(CEV). 38 I am sure that nothing can separate us from God’s love—not life or death, not angels or spirits, not the present or the future, 39 and not powers above or powers below. Nothing in all creation can separate us from God’s love for us in Christ Jesus our Lord!

John 15:12 & 17 (CEV). 12 Now I tell you to love each other, as I have loved you. 17 So I command you to love each other.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm not out to my parents, but I had similar concerns growing up in a Catholic family.

I can't give an extend answer because I'm on my phone, but here are the conclusions I've made:

Science has shown pretty clearly that I can't change my sexuality and, moreover, it was likely inborn. Therefore, there can be no mistake in my sexuality. The first hurdle is understanding this, and many Christians understand homosexuality can't be changed. Just look at the high profile case of Exodus International, a group which advocated "curing gays" but recently admitted they were wrong.

The next and more challenging hurdle is homosexual activity, which fewer denominations support. In that, all I can say is that since sex is one part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs (right with food, sleep, shelter, etc.), why should homosexual sex be rejected. Sex is more than about procreation (why else do so many heterosexuals use birth control?), and it is a very significant part of most loving relationships. The only people who should stay celibate are those who choose of their own free will.