1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Cliques and Biases

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cascade, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Cascade

Okay guys, I've run into a bit of a problem I never foresaw in the gay community: How connected everyone is. I was dating this one guy a while ago but it didn't work out and now we're friends and I was talking with him about this one guy I went on a date with recently and that I liked and I was told that "he [my interest] is more messed up than me [my friend]". This scares me because now I'm not sure how I want to proceed with this guy based on what my friend said. He realized he shouldn't have said anything and wouldn't say anything more except that "maybe he's changed and grown up now".

My friend is a lot more into the bar scene than me and knows practically every gay guy that goes to those bars (we live in a small city). Apparently the guy I'm interested in made a pass at my friend's friend's boyfriend at some point and there was bad opinions between cliques. I hadn't even considered that there were cliques of gay guys! So I'm not sure if my friend's remarks should be taken to heart considering they are biased. But it still frightens me to know that he thinks I shouldn't go out with him.

So how should I proceed? Like I hadn't heard anything or trust my friend's opinion?

2. Roxy Bi Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yikes, that's a tough spot. I think the best thing to do is to go ahead in your relationship with this guy, but be careful. Don't let him hurt you. If he tries anything with other guys, you should just break it off then and there before anything worse happens. Good luck!

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trust but verify. Hearsay can totally damage a good person's reputation.