1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the wrong thing to do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by UIOP, Dec 22, 2013.

1. UIOP

The other day, I met a girl who I hadn't seen in a long time. She used to have a crush on me and asked me out at one point. I wasn't (and still am not) attracted to her at all. In fact, I'm gay.

However, I was thinking about meeting up with her in a friendly way. When she saw me, it was clear that she still had something for me... she was overwhelming happy to see me and she rarely acts that crazy. Ha ha.

The question is should I meet up with her? And, if so, how can I ask her without it sounding like I'm asking her on a date? I was going to say 'hey, do you want to go out for a coffee or something?' but I realised that I just asked her 'do you want to go out' (that's not what I want at all). If anyone answers this, they will make me do a banana dance like this one: (!)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Me and my buddy **** are going out for coffee tomorrow, want to come?"

Bit lame, but worth a shot. It's the only way I can think of without explicitly saying "this isn't a date"

3. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come out to her before you meet her? That way she (presumably) can't misread the situation!

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2013 at 04:43 PM ----------

Just seen your not very out yet.

Another possibility is chatting to her online first and dropping into the conversation that you're not remotely interested in "meeting anyone" or "dating" and are just happy being single. In general, not related to her, but it will drop a big hint that a coffee is not a date.

You could also call it a "catch up" rather than "going for a coffee" as it sounds less date-like.

4. TheMightyBoosh

Great advice! :icon_bigg
    Good idea...

Hmm...
    I'm not sure what I'd so if it were me in your position, I think maybe if you ask her to bring a friend or two then it would seem less "datey" :rolle:

Instead of go out...because of the impying of "going out" putting the idea in her head.. I'd say "Do you want to hang out"

I never really would use the phrase go out.. I'd say "Do you want to come to (name of
    place) with me and get a coffee and hand out for a bit?"

something like that anyway. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

It's a tricky situation when that happens... >_<
    I hate it when that happens...especially when it's someone you really get along with.

Hope thing's work out.