1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In love with best friend. How to tell him?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jks115, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, not really sure where to start so I'll just go straight in.
    Covered this a little bit in another thread, but I'll reiterate some of the main points.
    In advance, I thank greatly anyone who takes the time to read this and come up with a reply.

I've known my best friend (let's call him N) since we were in primary school, and about a a year and a half ago I started to develop some strong feelings towards him, at first I wasn't really sure what to make of it, it was the first time I'd felt so strongly about anyone, even more confusing was that it was a guy, I'd known for a while that I was sort of attracted to guys but I'd never really felt anything to really confirm it until then. Anyway, we'd hang out quite a bit and occasionally get quite close. One time, we were watching TV and needed up being sat right next to each other despite having two sofas, and for a long time I struggled with trying to figure out if he felt anything towards me or whether it was just wishful thinking on my part. I'm still not entirely sure, but I have a feeling he could be gay, and there could possibly be something between us. Of course there is possibility that he isn't, but, to me, that seems slightly less likely. But again, this could just be me.

Anyway, fast forward to September, and by this time I've realised that I am actually in love with him. We'd had a few issues over the summer, such as him trying to avoid one on one stuff with me, but it looks like that's over, and our relationship has started to improve again. I'd been having some issues with another friend too, but he was just being a massive dick, and N helped me through that, and was there for me to talk to. But back on topic, We're both at university, around 90 minutes apart, so during term time we don't see each other much, and just after the issues with the other friend, and before we were going off to our respective universities, I finally found the courage to come out to him. I didn't tell him what I felt towards him, that, I think, would have been too soon, just that I wasn't completely sure about my orientation. I still am a little confused tbh, not entirely sure whether I am only attracted to guys or if it could be women as well, but that isn't really what I have the issue with.

I'm veering off topic again, sorry, anyway, N was, and still is, the only person I've told. He didn't seem to really be affected by it, he was accepting, we talked for a little bit and then he had to leave. I saw him again that week, and if anything, it's like it improved things between us, but it was only one day so...

Fast forward again, to November, and I'd asked him if he wanted to come and stay with me for a few days one weekend while I was at uni, as it was my birthday. He was busy on the weekend, but made time to come down on the Monday and stayed until Tuesday evening. We'd gone out to a club that night, and when we got back we shared my bed. We ended up pretty close during the night, and had ended up spooning at one point. Anyway, around 9am, we got up, I stayed half asleep for another few hours, and we spent the rest of the day watching films whilst sat pretty close together. I asked him if I wasn't too much of a nuisance during the night, like, by talking up loads of the bed or anything, and he said it was all fine, and that in fact he was awake for most of the night. That really confused me, if he was awake, then he probably would have realised and decided to do nothing about it, but I'm not too sure.

Fast forward yet again, and I've decided its time to tell him that I have feelings for him, and that I want to sit down and talk about it etc, I definitely feel that there could be something, but I'm not entirely sure about how to do this. I'm always a bit useless at this, in my head I come up with excellent ways of saying what I want to say or about how I would actually say it, but when it comes to it it becomes a lot harder. Of course, I could tell him and it turn out that he isn't gay, and I'll have to get over that.
    So, my questions are, what do people make of all of this, and does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about telling him?

Thank again for anyone who's made it this far!

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey
    In my last few years of highschool I had a similar friendship to the one you describe. He ended up having a girlfriend but I still fell for him and it hurt a lot... needless to say it didn't end too well...
    So I can't say I have particularly optimistic outlooks on these situations :/
    But I do think it is a good idea to tell him if you want to. If you're worried that it might affect the friendship, ask him first that he agrees that the friendship won't be affected by what you have to tell him... and that it's completely fine if he doesn't feel the same way

Good luck!

3. StephenSC

Hello there. I recently, very suddenly developed very strong feelings for a long term male friend. It certainly can be a little confusing.... Other then myself feeling confused, I have zero experience in this area I'm afraid.

It seems like you've already made up your mind to let him know how you feel. I think that's always the best bet, even though it may not end the way you want I think it's healthier to get these things out in the open so your not left wondering like so many other people do. There is always a chance something positive can come out of it, and if not it will allow you to move on sooner.

My only comment/suggestion is that you take an honest and open approach with things. Take your time with it, by which I mean maybe drop a few little hints, make efforts to become closer as friends and try the "I may have a little crush on you" approach, not the "I want you so bad!!" style. And obviously do all that at a time that's comfortable for him, mainly when it comes to actually talking about it don't just "ambush" him with it.

You seem to have put a lot of thought into all this, I'm sure if you take things one step at a time and continue to be thoughtful and honest (to yourself as well) you'll be fine. Even if he's not interested in you, or gay/bi if you take care with it there's a good chance you can still remain friendly.

Also... this might just be me, but do straight guys actually share a bed with openly gay/bi guys? They must be much more secure in their sexuality then I ever was/could be.

4. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i think u should tell him. but tell him after you have had a lot of fun together and then even if he isnt gay he will see how much fun u r and he will want to stay friends. and if he tells u that he likes u then..... :slight_smile:

5. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies guys, they are greatly appreciated, and also for taking the time to read it.

WhiteShadows
    I've also heard stories of where it doesn't turn out too well, thankfully however, he seemed OK when I told him that I was questioning, and probably gay, and he hasn't treated me any worse or different (different in a bad way that is), so hopefully he should be ok with me telling him that I like him. Obviously I will make it clear that if he doesn't feel the same way then that's ok. I think my main fear is that, when he knows, if there will be any negative effect on the friendship.
    I have good reason to believe it will all be fine, but the possibility, and therefore fear, is still there.

JassonSC

I agree, it is better to let him know, and I will take the careful approach and let him know slowly. I have a New Years party to go to with some of my friends from university, and in invited N along as well, unless he is planning on doing anything with his family then he probably will come with me. It's also his birthday shortly afterwards so we'll undoubtedly do something for that too. Then he has university exams during the second week of Jan also. Would you agree that it's best if I wait until after all of this to tell him? If I let him know I want to talk to him about something but that I'd rather wait until after New Years and his exams, as I want us both to have fun and him not to be distracted from revising?

As to the sharing a bed, we were both very drunk, and it was early in the morning. So that could help explain it. I'm also not really that open about my sexuality, in my opinion I'm far from being stereotypically "gay", there are probably some things that could indicate it but very little, and as I said before he is the only person I've told. I've thought about letting some of my uni mates know but I'm not too sure, I know some won't care and have even said to me if I was then it would bother them, others I'm not too sure about, especially my housemates. There's a funny story there actually but I'll save that for another time.

Some things I didn't mention before but they could be important, N has never had a girlfriend, and whenever I've asked him if there's any girls he likes at uni, or wherever, he always says no. One time last year, I went to visit him at his uni, and his friends joked about how once when they were out at a club he avoided a girl who was interested in him. But that could have been for a multitude of reasons. Also, there was one time not long before September where one of our other friends pointed out how we'd make a good couple. There have been similar comments before but I can't remember them exactly.

Anonomous
    As I said earlier in this post, he will probably be ok with it, as long as I approach the issue carefully.

#5 Jks115, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's been a few days, so I feel as though I should post an update for anyone that's interested. It's actually more just venting, but any replies are appreciated.

We hadn't talked much since Monday, but we did go out today with two of our other friends, and I noticed some things, in a way it made me happy because it reminded me of what it used to be like ages ago. As I may or may not have mentioned earlier, we'd had some issues over the summer, mainly with him trying to distance himself from me for a bit, for reasons, which, I'm my eyes, only fuel my suspicions about him.

Anyway, today was the first time in ages where we'd been out during the day, for no other reason than it was something to do, and he seemed much more, well, I don't know, relaxed, we would walk next to each other, sometimes quite close, he commented on how I smelt nice (new aftershave), we could have our own little conversations while walking with the other two, and he'd ask me if there was something in particular that I wanted to do, and little things like that. Of course I take all this with a pinch of salt, because there are other factors which could play into some of this.
    But the biggest thing I noticed was that there was a lot more eye contact. Whilst we were eating lunch, we were all discussing films, yet while he was talking we maintained eye contact for some time. There were another couple of instances where I noticed him scanning the room and would once or twice stop at me before looking away once I'd realised.

Maybe this is all in my head, I just don't know, but somehow I kind of feel, deep down, like there could be something there, although that's not to say I am not going to prepare myself for every outcome. I've finally figured out how I want to tell him, by effectively laying all my cards on the table and letting him make the next move, Now it's just a matter of choosing when to tell him, it will be soon but I just can't think of an appropriate time to bring it up.

7. StephenSC

Hey there again.

About your interactions with him, it is possible you could just be reading more into common things because you want them to have a greater meaning. With that being said, you do seem like close friends regardless of if there is more there or not, so I doubt the outcome will be a bad one if you take time and care when letting him in on your feelings. This is likely just my romantic/lonely side talking. You do sound like you'd be good together. = )

As for when to tell him, taking a bit of time to gather your thoughts and consider how you'll tell him and approach the possible responses/reactions he could have is a good thing. Though there is a point where to much thinking is a bad thing, make sure it doesn't start to dwell on you to much and you don't over think it... Sometimes diving in a little and following your gut/heart is the best thing. You might be right to wait until after his exams, sure that time is stressful enough without added pressures. In the mean time try become a little closer/more friendly with him and maybe, as you've said, let him know you want to talk with him about something after new years and his exams.

I wish you all the best with it, I'd be pleased to know how it goes (provided you don't mind sharing).

8. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,
    Yeah, I do agree with you that I may be reading too much into some of it because I want them to. Most of it was probably nothing, but it was the prolonged eye contact which got me thinking. As for us being good together, you're not the only one that's said that lol.

I also agree with the approach you outlined. I will wait until after he has done his exams, I myself have three essays due in a little over a week, none of which I have actually started writing (I'm such a bad student :/) So I think it is a good idea not to add more stress.

Thanks, and I have no problem sharing how it goes. Hopefully I'll have good news.

9. lqqk007

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know where you are coming from and I hope things work out for you.

I had a friend that I fell for once, my best friend actually. He's 10 years younger than me, but we kind of grew up together. All that he and his friends ever talked about was women. Even though I wanted him, I didn't dare say anything about it because I knew it would never happen.

One night much to my surprise for sure, (I was about 29, him 20), he started the conversation and he wasn't beating around the bush about it. He pretty much just said that he wanted to try something. Of course I really had no idea what he was talking about since I considered him straight to the very core. I asked him what he was talking about and he pretty much said sex. I was floored to say the least but happy at the same time. I was so confused that when we started making out, I couldn't get it up. I gave him head and he was happy.

I thought that would be the end of it, but it wasn't thankfully. I'm now 53 and he's 44. Even though he's on his second wife, we still see each other as often as we can, even though sometimes that's only a few times a year. He, of course, still remains my best friend.

I think if your best friend slept with you in your bed and sits next to you on the couch watching movies (especially since you have 2 couches and there is defiantly space on each end), he's probably wanting to tell you the same thing. I'd play it carefully and start out with shoulder touching as someone above suggested, but I'm sure that you are on the way to a great friendship or more.

I guess my friend is more of a "sex feind" than gay, but hey, either way is fine with me. :slight_smile:

Take it easy with him, but get your point across at the same time. If you've told him that you may be gay and he didn't run, chances are that he's hoping that you are. Sounds that way to me.

Happy New Year and Good Luck.

10. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update (of sorts) - I don't really know where to start, so...

Anyway, I've seen N twice since Christmas, once was on New Year's Eve, I asked him to come to a party with me that was at one of my uni mates' house. That went quite well, at one point we were talking about how we'd known each other since we were around 6 and I told him that I was thankful for it. He ended up being sick so I made sure he was ok and put him to bed before doing the same to myself since I didn't want to leave him alone and I had to drive us home the next day.

The other time was yesterday, it was his birthday so our other friends and I went to his house for a few drinks. Anyway, during this time I managed to let him know I wanted to talk about something but that I wanted to wait until after he finished his exams and I'd submitted all my essays to avoid adding extra stress to myself and him. He said he will come back afterwards so I'll tell him then.

The problem is that I'm finding that the whole thing it's starting to get to me a little more than I'd anticipated, for the past week or so all I've been able to think about is him and what will happen when I tell him. I haven't really paid much attention to what I would do if the outcome isn't one I like, which is beginning to bother me.
    I have however, thought a lot about outcomes that I would like. What I want to ask is, is it too much for me to ask him if he feels anything towards me? I'm offering complete honesty and I'd like the same back. Telling him what I feel is probably going to be one of the hardest things I have ever done, I mean, it took me half a day to tell him I may be gay when the whole purpose of his visit was for me to tell him. Even if he doesn't know himself what his orientation is I would much rather have him tell me that than just say that he doesn't like me when in fact he doesn't know. I feel like such a prick for even thinking about this but it's really beginning to affect me.

Lqqk007 - I appreciate your optimism, it's exactly how I feel, which could of course be quite bad if it turns out he doesn't feel the same way.

11. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to tell him. You should. Just do it. I can promise you that your life will not be ruined :slight_smile:

12. StephenSC

I'm very sorry to hear that it's starting to get to you, though it makes a lot of sense when it comes to someone you care about. All I can say is don't fear the negatives, don't be afraid to act on something that could make you both truly happy because it "might" not work out the way you want. And don't feel like a prick for wondering about, or want more.

I don't think it's too much to ask... It's clearly having an effect on you so I don't think it's unfair to ask. Just be sure to give him time and space if he needs it and don't be forceful with it.

Follow your heart, tell him what you've said here. That you understand how hard these things can be to talk about and you don't want to put him on the spot. That your willing to give him time. Let him know that you will value his honesty and tell him that you will anyways value his continued friendship regardless of the outcome.

Looking at how close the two of you are I really don't see how it could end badly.

13. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update:
    I did it, I finally told him. It was stressing me out all week leading up to it and it took me while to be able to actually say it directly, but I did it, it went better than I expected but...
    We met up on Monday afternoon for a few hours and talked about a lot of stuff.
    I told him how much he meant to me and how I was lucky to have him as a friend, about how women don't do much for me and that he was the one person who made me realise that I am actually gay, in the sense that he was the first person I've ever felt real emotional attraction to. If that makes sense?

Anyway, he said he had pretty much figured that out and he had thought about the possibility before given the way I'd acted towards him someone times. And here's the bad part, that he isn't gay. I did say how there have been many instances where he has given off mixed signals. His response was that he didn't want to cause any confrontation or anything like that. I texted him afterwards saying that it wasn't easy for either of us and I was grateful for the way he took it, and he replied saying he was glad that I was able to tell him what I felt.
    Anyway, after I told him we started talking about me, and what I wanted to do next in terms of telling other people. He told me that he is happy to support me, and happy I trusted him enough to talk to him about it, and if I want him to be with me if/when I tell my family or anyone else then he will be.
    I can't really say it turned out bad, it honestly went really well, when I was driving him home we talked about normal stuff and it wasn't awkward, and forgetting anything else I am really lucky to have him as a friend, but I didn't get the outcome I wanted. I really want to believe him when he says he isn't gay, so that I can try to begin to move on (how I'd even do that is beyond me right now, I guess I'll have to think about that), but a tiny part of me still doubts it. It seemed like the conversation didn't dwell on my feelings for him for very long when we should have talked a bit more about it, and when I tried to steer back to it it didn't last very long either. We decided to have a week to think everything and I am going to see him again next week. So I guess I could try and bring it up again after he's had a bit of time for it to sink in.

14. King

It seems like things went well, you are still good friends and have developed confidence and support.

I think you should take his word that he is straight though.

15. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I am really thankful he was so understanding, it was even his idea to meet up again in a week, normally it's mostly me suggesting things. And its not that I don't believe him, I do, but like I said a tiny, tiny part of me doubts it. It would certainly explain a lot, I mean, even my mum has asked, once or twice, if we were together.
    But of course, there could be other things behind it, so I guess I'll just have to not give the idea much thought.

16. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as hoped for, he took it very well. He wasn't offended, freaked out, homophobic or anything. Yes, he's straight, but he still wants to be your friend and you need to respect that. It's a shame you can't be with him in a romantic way, but at least now you have someone to talk to and you can try to look for other people :slight_smile:

17. StephenSC

I've been offline for awhile so didn't catch the reply to this.

Thanks for letting us know how it went, I'm glad you have finally been able to get it all off your chest. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out exactly the way you had hoped, but on the bright side, you've now got some one to talk to about these things and you've managed to maintain your friendship. He sounds like he is very accepting and supportive, which is totally amazing for you. Nothing bad come out of it (Well other than the loss of hope of a relationship, but I think getting it out in the air would be better then constantly wondering right?).

Just two things I'd like to add, firstly I noticed you mentioned coming out to other people, don't feel rushed to do so because of this "momentum". Make sure you are ready first. Secondly, I know your likely very interested fully expressing to him your feelings, just be mindful not to bring it up forcefully. Give him some time to come to terms with it first. (The part about steering the conversation towards it brings this up) I'm not saying don't, I think it's important your feelings are voiced so you can move on. Which will happen in time, as difficult as it might seem right now.

18. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with both of you, it is great that I have someone to support me. I really could not ask for a better friend, and I feel much better for having told him, even if he doesn't feel the same way, although that has been troubling me a bit, but I'm finding that if I keep my mind occupied elsewhere it doesn't become too much of a problem.

JasonSC, I in no way feel rushed, of this I can assure you, I have no desire to rush into anything without thinking it through. I wouldn't dare tell anyone I'm living with at uni yet, while they say they don't mind, I have a feeling that if it was somebody they were living with, they may not take too kindly to it, which is unfortunate. But fortunately they have absolutely no idea. In fact, the more that I think about it I have no burning desire to tell anyone else really, I don't see how it will make any real difference right now, but that could just be me.

You are right, I do wish to elaborate more on my feelings for him, and I will take your advice not be forceful with it, if I get the slightest hint he is finding it a bit too much, I will lay off, but I do want him to know. Forgetting any romantic feelings towards him he is still the one person whose friendship I value the most and couldn't live without, and I want him to know that.
    We'll hopefully be doing some things next week, if anything interesting happens I will post an update. (if anyone is interested that is)

19. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it's been a while, but I figured I'd post in here since it's effectively the same topic.
    An update, if you will, a late, late update.
    We did see each other again, he came back home for the weekend, we went to the cinema and also spent a day together, talked some more about the whole situation etc, and both went off back to our respective universities.
    Jump to 6 or so weeks later, and I feel that I'm struggling to move on, I know it will take time, and I do feel a tiny bit better about everything, but I still find myself thinking about him a lot, and in all honestly I think I am still hung up on the idea that he may reciprocate some of the feelings I have but that he is unable to accept this for whatever reason and so denies it.
    I've been spending some time thinking over everything, and some of the stuff that has gone on still to me just leaves me confused and unsure about everything.
    I mean, he's coming to spend the weekend with me only a month later and we will likely be sleeping in the same bed, spending lots of time alone together and so on. It just seems a little odd. Is it possible that there could still be something, or have I managed to hold on to a really good friend who acts no differently (actually, probably bit more relaxed if anything) towards me despite knowing my feelings for him. I don't know.
    I'm inclined to lean towards the latter, there could be something, probably not, only time will tell, but, I'd still like some other opinions?
    And hopefully this can be of help to other people who read this too.

P.S. Sorry for any errors or stuff that seems to ramble, I'm tired and have work in 6 hours :/

20. prettylonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    its so sad that in the cases where you really have pure emotional attachment to the person they are never gay.