1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm in love with my straight best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by musicalshyguy, Dec 22, 2013.

1. musicalshyguy

I have this best friend. His name is David. We met last year on Kik, and we've been best friends ever since. I tell him I love him (as a friend) and he tells me that back. He knows I'm gay and he accepts that. I've seen pics of him and honestly I think he's hot. I don't know why but I think I'm starting to have feelings for him. He's straight and has a girlfriend. I don't want it to turn into a crush because I love him so much and I never want to lose him. What should I do?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to convince yourself that he is not only straight but not interested in you. Personally, I can't maintain a crush for guys I don't think like me in a non-platonic way.

3. StephenSC

It's the hardest thing to do. Forcefully denying yourself a feeling of, or a chance of future, happiness.

I think the only thing you can do is just keep reminding yourself of the harsh reality, that nothing can ever happen. And keep reminding yourself of what you stand to lose if you either can't come to terms with it, or you keep pushing to hard for it - Your friendship. Good friends, good people, are hard to come by. It's worth going through some suffering to hold on to all those you can find.

I'm sure in time you will find happiness with someone and the attraction towards this person will fade and you can be friends. Until that happens I hope in time you can be at peace being friends with this person.