1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romantic Relationship with Genderqueer Friend -- advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LibraryKitten, Dec 25, 2013.

1. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just started seeing someone new this past November, and it seems that we're both very serious about each other (he has invited me to visit [edit: meet] his family over spring break, and I intend to fly down and do it). My new partner and I look heteronormative from the outside, but I'm pansexual, and he's genderqueer. I only recently realized that I'm attracted to women (I talked about my experience figuring that out in my last post, here). I've never been with a woman before, and even though I thought I wanted my next relationship to be with a woman, now that I've met this person, I'm focused entirely on him (them?).

I have little to no previous experience knowing, let alone dating, someone who identifies as genderqueer. He tells me that he prefers genderneutral pronouns, but that he's used to being referred to as male, and is not offended when that happens. He has also told me that he would prefer to have been born in a female body, but he hasn't made up his mind yet whether he would ever want to transition. I've told him that whatever he decides, I want to be there to support him. I know almost nothing about the available transition procedures, but I would like to be as informed as possible, both because I want to be an effective partner for this person, and because I don't really know what I'm getting myself into. I've done some online research, but I would appreciate if you guys could tell me anything you wish the people around you knew, particularly romantic partners who have never personally experienced gender dysphoria.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but I sometimes get the feeling that my parents are relieved that I'm seeing a man. I haven't told my family yet that my new partner is genderqueer (they think they are male (I'm not sure if I used that correctly here; should it be "they is?"), and I only recently told them that I'm pansexual, tending towards attraction to females. They didn't really believe me 100%, though my mom seemed to be beginning to accept that as the truth before I told her about my new partner. I think my parents would accept him anyway if they knew, but then again, I thought they would be more open minded when I came out to them (they were supportive, but not as much as I had expected). I don't even know how to bring up this concern without mentioning that my new "boy"friend may want to transition someday.

2. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe I should post this in the "Gender Identity and Expression" section, even though it's technically a relationship question.
    I guess I could also clarify that I'm not looking primarily for information about transition procedures, so much as for advice about how to be supportive without accidentally saying or doing something offensive or ignorant. For example, if I express too much enthusiasm for the way his body looks now(he doesn't think he is very attractive), is that being unsupportive? Or if I express excitement about how he might look as a woman, is that potentially bad for his perception of how he looks now? He's a very sweet person, and I don't think he would ever say something to me if I was bothering him this way.