1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be better at dating? (New to this, and I do a lot of things wrong)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lostlifeguard, Dec 25, 2013.

1. lostlifeguard

Ok, so I recently started college and came out, and as a result I'm finally able to date. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems like mine when dating after being in the closet for so long.

My first issue is that I'm really hesitant to let someone know that I'm interested. I tried dating this guy and he would always text me that he liked me and that he thought I was cute, but I would never reciprocate, until he brought it up.

My other issue is that I'm really uncomfortable being alone with people I'm dating. Maybe it's just an issue I had with the one guy I tried dating, but I would go out of my way to avoid being alone with him. I would always invite him to hang out with me and my friends, and going on dates was always super stressful and unpleasant for me.

I really just feel like I'm awful at dating. I talk about my issues with my friends and they just all joke that I'm the worst at dating. I guess I'm getting better, did anyone else go through this when they started dating?

2. Equalist

Equalist Guest

I'm in a similar position as you are. I just started college this year as well, and this is the first time I'm really making an attempt to date. Although nothing has come up yet, I have definitely talked to a few guys through text/apps, and I simply have no idea what to say sometimes. I'll be talking to a guy and immediately when they mention meeting up, I get very uncomfortable and think of an excuse not to. Because of this, I have never even been on a date yet. I feel like I'm definitely getting better, but I still need to get used to it. So you're definitely not alone.