1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you really need a boy/girlfriend to be happy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Can you just go it alone for the rest of your life ? Being 23 I sometimes feel this is how I am going to end up already, I mean I have at least tried to have relationships and well I have dabbled in gay sex and all.

2. Im Just Me

Definitely not. People worry too much about having a boyfriend or girlfriend.

And as far as the future, like having a life partner/marriage/whatever-is-legal-where-you-live, it really depends on the individual and what they want out of life. Some people would feel happy on their own, and don't need another person. Some people just want flings. Some people want one person there for them, some want a big family. It's all up to the individual.
    It's definitely not a rule that you "need" someone else to be happy.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. In reality, only you can make yourself happy. Having a partner should just be an added benefit to share your happiness.

4. GreyFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I truly believe that if you can't make yourself happy, no one else can either. Your happiness stems from you and what you want.

5. Seagypsy

I actually think I will be alone forever too :frowning2:
    Sometimes I'm scared and sad about that (like now, when I have a crush on someone!) But usually I am ok with it, even quite happy and kinda excited, thinking I can do what I like and not have to compromise for anyone else..... :icon_wink

I am 35 and I have never had sex...!!! Well it is hard for me to find the right kind of person for me.... being bi can be lonely sometimes, but it can also be better than settling for something which isn't right for you :rolle:

6. Caitlin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I don't think you need someone to be happy, the media just implies that you do, all the happy couples everywhere..

My aunt is a perfect example, she's in her 50's, never had a partner and is perfectly happy!

7. ryanalexander61

I honestly think it depends on the person

8. The Spark

I think it depends on the person. For example, I'm completely lonely and unhappy being single. Some people can make it by otherwise though. It's all about the individual.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's an interesting piece, rooted solidly in research data: We can only love another person as much as we are able to love ourselves. Correlated to that: happiness has to come from within ourselves, so if we can only be happy when it's externalized (i.e, the need for a boyfriend or girlfriend), then we aren't really happy.

In plain terms... if you have to be in a relationship to be happy, then you aren't truly happy, even when you are in a relationship. You must first learn to love and be happy with yourself, and be happy being who you are, without being attached. A relationship can bring added joy and fulfillment, but it can't replace the basic happiness that comes from within.