1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to find friendship in a transphobic society?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by anonym, Dec 26, 2013.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

Hi I'm still coming to terms with my gender identity and about to start socially transitioning soon. I find it hard to make friends as it is due to past issues and now that I'm trans it just feels like it's going to be impossible because of transphobia.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or their experiences of friendships they've made post transition?

2. Daydream Harp

Well if you are old enough and have a good enough income you can always consider moving to a more trans-friendly place if you find one. Brighton is pretty LGBT friendly isn't it?

If not it's still possible to find friends, just need to search for some more accepting subcultures or underground scenes or something. Have you checked if there are any LGBT support organizations in your close area?

3. anonym

anonym Guest

There's not a lot where I live to be honest. I hope to find full time work to support myself soon but that's another issue being trans.

I wish it was not an issue :frowning2: but then who doesn't

4. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There might be some transphobic people but there are a lot of accepting and open-minded people too. In fact the transition may even give you the confidence that you didn't have before. :slight_smile: