1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it so strange that I have a trans* roommate?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by phoenix89, Dec 29, 2013.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a residence hall at school and I have a roommate who identify as a trans*guy, and I cis-woman. I see nothing wrong with this, but others, including my family are not 100% fond of the idea. Luckily, though almost the entire building is, so there is at least that, even if they think we are dating, were not though. But now it is story time of earlier today.

One of my brothers and his family was up today to Christmas, which was nice because I hadn't my one nephew in nearly a year because he is in the AirForce. But anyway we ended up on the topic of school and my Dad asked what was my roommates name, because he can't remember. My Dad is horrible with names, he even call us kids by our siblings and occasionally cousins names all the time. So I said his name, and it is an obviously male name, like John, so we will call my roommate John. So my brother and sister in-law, said "John?" and I said yea his name is "John". He is a guy.

Then they were all sorts of confused. So I tried to explain that he is a trans*guy, and they were still confused, so I explained it in couple different ways including having to use "she" pronouns. I eventually explained how since he is still listed as a female on records, I am allowed to live with him and that is what we chose to do.

I just wish people could be accepting that he is my friend and my roommate. It is not like anything is happening between us. I am Demi(my family doesn't know, and will not know) and he is Ace. We are just friends, and wish people would understand that. It is nice that they are concerned, but nothing is going on. Maybe if they have met him, they will understand but as of right now, I do not know if they will ever get it. Which is really strange considering, my cousins, cousin is a trans*woman and my sister is gay.

By the way, I do have his permission. Once I say his name is John, the cat is pretty much out of the bag anyways.

2. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It could be because some people just think were weird or the situation in itself atleast that is my guess but it could be in how you explainned it to them they may still not get it

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to explain it in the simplest way I know how. I wonder if it is just because they think it is weird or they are not used to the idea.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you could choose to see this another way.

Your family finds it weird that you, a girl, has been given a male room mate. As in, they basically accept him as being a guy and think that's a weird thing for a university to do, and it is!

5. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What the lady above me said:slight_smile:

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister has accepted him as male and my is trying but I know my brothers do not understand him being well a him, so they haven't really accepted.

The thing is, I choose for him to be my roommate, it wasn't a random selection.

7. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel ok, then it is all good. Do not worry aout labels and what other people think.
    Trust me, my dear, I have been there.

Love,
    Andrea

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's because they accept him as a male then yea I can see the problem. I wouldn't want my daughter to be roommates with a guy. But this does put the college in a tough spot. If he is still female on paper then they cannot put him in the guys' dorm either.

If it is a case of them not understanding him being a transguy then have you tried explaining that it is like your f2m cousin except that he was born as male in a female body instead?

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand why they are a little leary but at the same time, they know we are just friends, and that I am not in the dating scene. I however, do not see an issue with sharing my room with a trans*guy. I have tried explaining it in the manner of my cousin and it has only barely helped.

My school "sorta" has gender neutral housing, but it is not in the building that he is currently living in. The building that we are living in is a living learning community, on top of being on of the cheapest buildings on campus. It is a great place to live, but since I am graduating, next year is all up in the air.

10. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Well you see trans* always have the issue of where the hell do we go when we are in between genders. But here's a shallow reassurance that you could pose to your family. If John is still physically female, mention it. Of course family would be concerned that in gender segregated dorms you are bunked with a "male" as in he has a penis and would want to do things to you. I know. Shallow way to look at it. But most view men as sex hounds.

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can try explaining it that way. They do have the idea of men as sex hounds. I know that this throwing them for a loop because the other college that I attended before this one was a small Christian College (800/900 students) and I lived in an all women's residence hall for two of those years, but I only had a roommate for one of those years. The other two years I was in a co-ed suite based buildings, but the suite were all single sex and even then I did not have a roommate.

Now I am attending a Large secular school (25,000+ students) and last year and this year were the first time since my freshman year in the all women's building that I have had a roommate, and both of them have been not what one would consider to be a normal roommate. Last year my roommate was an international student from China and this year I have a trans*guy.