1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I talk to my gay uncle?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by paranoidkid, Dec 30, 2013.

1. paranoidkid

Well I'm questioning, very confused and everything. I have a gay uncle and I want to talk to him for support and help. But I don't know if I should I'm afraid of going to him I don't want him to think I'm weird or something.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it difficult to believe that your 'gay uncle' is going to think you're weird for questioning your sexuality...

3. paranoidkid

it's not that, it's just I would have to message him.on Facebook and we never really "talk" we just talk and act as family and all. We have our family parties I say hi and talk a bit. Nothing like real "talk". That's why I don't know if it is weird.

4. lemmings

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He is still family and I believe he will help you. Question is, do you trust him? Will he keep this conversation to himself or relay it to your parents? If you do then it is great to have a gay relative having your back!

5. paranoidkid

Well yes I do trust him. He is very nice. And I do not think he would relay it back to my parents. I do not know him that well to know if he would do that. But I do trust him and believe he can help me. And even if he did relay it back to my parents it wouldn't matter. My parents know my situation anyways

6. Foster

I think you should talk to him. No one understands better than someone who is gay, and chances are he will provide allot of support/advice :slight_smile: And if you guys aren't close, maybe this will be the thing that will bring you closer! :grin:

7. paranoidkid

Thanks I really wanna talk to him! How should I go about this? I'm not sure what to say

8. Foster

There's really no wrong way to go about it. I know talking about these subjects (especially when you're not used to it) can be a bit awkward. I'd just start with "Hey, do you think I can talk to you about something." and then explain your situation of being questioning and ask if he has any advice :slight_smile:

9. paranoidkid

Yeah it defiantly is for me! Should I message him.on facebook? Or just wait u til.i see him.again. I don't know when.i would see him again, it would be a long time I believe

10. Foster

A message should do fine, or maybe even a phone call if you have his number.

11. Lipstick Leuger

You are so lucky to have another gay family member to talk to! Count your blessings with this and ask the man. He will undertand and be ok with it.