1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mattay, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mattay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone!

So around last Friday, I started talking to this guy the other day. Overall, he's a really nice, sweet guy and we get along well. We've been snapchatting and texting almost non-stop. We're the same age (18), we both go to college, and we also happen to have mutual friends.
    As you all know, tomorrow is New Years Eve. This guy basically invited me to a party which is at his college (~ 1 hour away from our town.) and offered to drive me as well. We'd be meeting for the first time this way, and after the party we'd be spending the night there & leaving in the morning.

Now, I don't think this guy will be or is mean, abusive, etc. at all, and I'm not really worried for my safety or anything. However, my main issue is that either a) he won't like me as much in person or b) I get put into a situation that I don't feel comfortable in - a college party _possibly_ being one of them. And if A happens, then I'm stuck an hour away from home with no way of really leaving until the next morning.

See, I've never been to a party before and I probably wouldn't consider myself as a 'party' person. I'm quite introverted and happen to get anxiety in social situations like this. My question is: am I being too cautious? I sorta feel like it'd be moving too fast if I went with him. Or maybe I'm being paranoid and everything. I DUNNO. :dry:

Thanks

2. AKTodd

Speaking as someone who is also not a 'party person' (and as such I may be biased), my reaction is that something a bit more low-key might be a better first meeting for you. New Years parties can get quite wild and people can get pretty wasted. Even if this guy has no intention of being anything but totally nice, or even if you were a major party animal and loved parties, it's possible for a party situation to turn into something where you or both of you aren't having any fun because of the presence of drinking or drugs or both.

There's also issue that you've already said you aren't really comfortable with a party situation. That's going to color your whole evening, at least until the two of you are alone.

My inclination would be to take a raincheck on meeting until after the new year and then aim to do something like meet for lunch and maybe a movie or the like. You are in a much more low-key situation, you can probably set it up so that you aren't dependent on him for transportation, and if you turn out to really like each other, he can always drive you back to his place to spend the night/weekend. Or go to your place if your living situation allows it.

If he's sufficiently into you to be willing to drive 4hrs just to get you to/from and back again, he should be fine with waiting until the first weekend in January to see you instead IMHO.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. Foster

I'd confront the situation carefully. It's not an ideal situation for your own safety, being that you've never met this guy and he'd be driving you an hour away in his car. If things went bad, do you have a backup plan to get home?

If you decide to go, make sure a friend or family member has the address of where you are going and can pick you up if needed. And obviously keep your phone with you.

As far as the social aspect goes, just be yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not he'll like you. If it's meant to be, it'll happen. If not, it'll happen with someone else :slight_smile: Good luck!

4. mattay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that's basically what we did. He was totally cool about it all too. :icon_bigg

Thanks for the replies, guys! We have a date scheduled for Monday :slight_smile: my first one!

5. AKTodd

Congratulations! Have fun :slight_smile:

Todd