1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my parents I don't want to be Confirmed

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gleek1234, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Gleek1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I'm already out to my parents and they're ok with that, and now I'm getting confirmed mid 2014. The thing is I don't want to be confirmed though. My parents really want me to receive the sacrament. My dad never was when he was little and took a whole class and everything to be confirmed before I was. I honestly just don't really believe in what the bible says, I've always considered myself a very big realist, and I just don't believe. I feel like I'm closeted all over again. My church also isn't really the most accepting of homosexual people. :help:

2. stumble along

Considering What you said it looks like you're going to have to come out again as a non believer

I was lucky, my parents took me to those sessions and I was not a big fan to say the least, I never did any of the things they told us to do and was internally laughing my butt off at nearly all the "proof" they showed us. I just told my parents I wanted to play more tennis so they let me stay and it wasn't a big fuss.

Now that I said that I thought of some things to say or do, haha

If you have a hobby you really want to get into more I would tell your parents and maybe they'll back off like mine did

Or when you're coming out (again) just tell them you really want time to think about it and do it on your own terms if you want to do it, honestly tell them there's no point in confirming you if you're not going to do anything afterward and if you want to get confirmed later on then do what you're dad did, no need to get indoctrinated.

Lastly, I wouldn't completely discount the bible, just treat it as a regular book, it's pretty fun to be able to argue with a ignorant person using their own "weapon" and it's essentially a really long collection of stories.

P.s. don't tell Christians/catholics it's a story book I had a girl get very defensive about it along with arguing about if the Ark really existed it was messy

#2 stumble along, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. Gleek1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you! Yeah I'm really involved in the drama program at school I think I'll use that to kind of "cushion" the blow.