1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was just dumped and need help sorting through my feelings

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sesshomaru, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Sesshomaru

My boyfriend had been together just over 9 months a week ago. And last night he decided to break up with me. His reasoning is because he needs time to grow and explore what it's like to be able to experience independence and having the freedom to have sex with people if he chooses to do so. What I don't get is his logic behind this considering I told him when we first met 9 months ago that I don't do open relationships and he agreed that he was fine with this and wanted a monogamous relationship with me.

Let's see. For starters there's a bit of an age gap between us. He's 48 and I'm 20, soon to be 21. We were both fine with this entering the relationship seeing as how (not to brag), but I'm VERY mature for my age. I'm not the average 20 year old looking for a short term relationship or just wanting to sleep around. I tried that when I was 16-19 and it just wasn't for me. He's grown up in Oregon and moved out here two years ago by himself after his job offered him a new position in any state he chose. And he chose to move to the LA area. He was in two long term relationships before me (one for 8 years and the other for 9) and both guys in the end decided they weren't in love with him anymore and just decided to dump them. One of them leaving him at a very critical point in life after he'd just lost his job/business (he owned a wine shop), his dog of about 12-15 years had just died, and he had just had surgery on his back and was on bedrest for about 6 months. I've tried being the exact opposite of them all. I've given him everything and put up with everything that came with being with him. From dealing with his ex that he's very close friends with and who still wants him back and constantly tried to win him over, to him breaking up with me TWICE with one time being because of said ex and the other being because of this exact reason with him saying he was scared to be in a monogamous relationship with me for fear of me leaving him after like 5-6 years and him ending up alone since he's getting up in age and he says his time to find someone is running out. I promised him I would never leave him and I held true to it. I loved him enough to put up with everything he's put me through despite me being only 20 and having time to still date and possibly find someone to treat me the way I treat them. I don't mean to sound cocky but I was a very nice boyfriend to him and I just can't fathom why he would choose being able to experience having sex with other people over being with the guy he's been waiting all his life for that would be there for him until we both died. Last night we finally talked because Saturday I'd had enough of the way he had been treating me so poorly and I called him out on all of it and told him just how much it hurts that I treat him so well yet it seems he barely even respects me. He'd been saying for months that he would change and he had honestly been improving a lot lately. But he decided to just suddenly end it all for having the freedom to be alone and be able to sleep with whomever he chooses.

He also said in the end that he wants to stay friends because "it's not that I don't want you, I just can't be in a monogamous relationship with you right now. I do one day want to come back if you'll allow me and be with you forever". I told him though that I can't do that. I can't go from us being head over heels with each other to just being platonic friends and knowing that the bed I've slept with him in so many nights is now being occupied by random men either sleeping or sometimes even being used for sex. Am I wrong for not being able to bear the friendship? I don't want to lose him and he says that he doesn't want to lose me. And honestly I'm willing to wait for him to come to his senses and take me. But I'm just not sure if it's right for me to be so willing to do so. I mean I love him more than I could ever put into words. And I know he feels the same but I can't wrap my head around why he would be willing to completely give me up just to go out and have fun.

To make matters even worse I wanted to surprise him with tickets to Disneyland today. I wanted to be able to follow the tradition of kissing someone at midnight on New Year's Eve because I want to spend the rest of my life with this man and accept him with both the good and the bad. If he were to just fix this problem I would seriously marry him. But I don't think I can handle just being friends with him after everything we've been through. I also can't handle an open relationship. I could never give someone the right to cheat on me and think it's okay. Do you guys think I should keep the friendship alive? Should I just wait until he's ready and accept him back?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it sounds like he likes you, and he likes the attention, and he probably likes the sex. But he doesn't like the monogamy. So he has said, in essence, "I'm going to start having sex with other guys now." And of course, that's his choice to make. Just as it's your choice to make whether or not to accept his tail-end "maybe after I have sex with other guys for awhile, I'll be ready to settle down with you again." And since he chose sleeping with other guys over a monogamous relationship with you, you are most certainly under no obligation to chose "being friends and/or waiting for him" over cutting him off and going off in search of somebody else. In fact, I'd say the second choice is probably the best for you right now.

Lex

3. Femme

Please take the advice of someone who has been in your shoes. You will NEVER forget it if you take him back after his screwing around. I stayed with my gf while she did that and we have been living together in a monogamous relationship for 5 years. It took a toll on my self-esteem and I would not feel bad if I cheated on her at all as a result of those exploration days.

Don't wait around. You deserve better.

4. truthsearcher

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Get out.

For him to efffectively say:

These are your limits and I'm ignoring them, chasing after what I want and I will come back to you when I'm ready to settle down again.

Means that he doesn't appreciate you, your awesomeness, your limits (previously stated monogamy) and is kind of using you. If he hasn't been treating you like your his best friend that he wants to go through life with - he doesn't love you the way you love him and he doesn't appreciate you like he should given the context of your relationship.

Get out.

It will be hard but it will be worth it. One day you will find someone who does treat you right, who is willing to compromise and hopefully wants the same things you do. Someone who is willing to accept you for who you are and what you want because of who you are (aka. the person that they love over all the world). Someone who will treat you right.

Get out. Don't go back to him. Don't let him use you.

<3

5. Sesshomaru

But that's the thing I'm afraid of. What if he really is the ONE and just isn't ready yet? What if I never meet anyone else after this? The few relationships I've been in have always ended because the other person involved doesn't love me the way that I love them and it majorly sucks having to keep going through this. Would it be bad to just settle? I've always heard never to just wait around for Mr. Perfect to come because most lives don't end with a fairy-tale story.

6. Femme

Yes it is bad to settle. That's what I did and I'm so bitter about life as a result but I'm twice your age. Do not waste your youth on this man that's trying to grab the last of his good years whoring around. Do NOT be his backup plan. I'm sorry to say this but you are his plan B if he can't find better. Trust me, I speak from experience. It's too late for me to turn back the years and at twice your age, there's still time for me to find someone but years of not being truly appreciated for the gift of my love has absolutely taken its toll.

Don't accept this. You will find someone else.

7. Sesshomaru

But then what if the next person I meet has some sort of problem as well? Wouldn't that eb considered settling?

8. AKTodd

There are problems and there are problems. Nobody is perfect and you shouldn't look for perfection. Everyone will have some sort of annoying habit or minor failing or whatever. You certainly have some qualities that will annoy them too. Because we all do.

The difference is that all the other good qualities that the person has, and/or the way that they 'click' with you, either balances out the one or two annoying things about them or even makes those things endearing because it's part of the whole package that is them that you've fallen in love with.

On top of that, the key here is that they are ANNOYING qualities or behaviors, not stuff that makes you feel horrible or terribly sad or whatever. If your guy had a habit of drinking out of the milk carton or storing half his clothes in the dryer (that would be MY annoying quality as far as my partner is concerned), then I don't think anyone here would be suggesting you end the relationship and move on. But we're not talking about something annoying - we're talking about a violation of your trust, of something that is presumably causing you great pain, of something that he certainly knows is causing you pain and that he's chosen to do anyway for his own selfish reasons.

The difference is that some problems are just minor annoyances. Others are deal breakers. From everything you've written here, it seems to me that what you're describing is a deal breaker for you and the only reason that you're considering sticking around is fear of the devil you don't know. And fear is a really bad reason for doing most things, especially when the thing in question is to basically put your life on hold and stew in your own pain as you go to bed each night imagining this guy screwing some other dude in the bed you once shared (and yes, that's a harsh and unpleasant image - but you've virtually said you've already imagined that and that it hurts you - so why deliberately freeze yourself in that state of being?).

My 2c worth,

Todd

P.S.: And if the next person has something about them that is a deal breaker, then you move on again. The fairly tale about finding the love of our lives on the first try is pretty much just that - a fairy tale. In the real world, people date and form committed relationships and sometimes break up and move on to another relationship. That's part of life.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If he's 48 and still on the fence, it is unlikely he will ever be able to settle down into monogamy.

Like others said, you should not have to settle. The worst thing ever is to believe you must bend over backwards because you fear this is your only shot at true love. Really, it might seem like 9 months is long, but it is a blink of an eye in terms of your entire lifetime. You may be mature beyond your years, but don't conflate maturity with experience. Being 20 means you have only been (mentally) an adult for a few years, and so you should avoid thinking this is the best relationship that you can hope to achieve.

10. biggayguy

He's treating you like a door mat. He's confident you will be there to take whatever he wants to dish out. I wouldn't stay with someone that took me so for granted. Being in a bad relationship is worse than being alone.

#10 biggayguy, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  11. dater83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Give him the time and space to explore and keep your options open too, make it mutual. Don't sit by waiting for him and respect his choice. If it's meant to happen it will but don't wait for that to happen- get out there and meet someone who is dedicated to making you plan A.

12. Sesshomaru

Thanks guys for the advice. I decided to go out yesterday with someone I hooked up with over a year ago and this time things went even more amazing. We had a pretty deep conversation about our lives and everything imaginable and now I realized I'm starting to think he could be a pretty cool guy to be with if it ever got to the point of dating.

13. orafixation

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was in a 10 year relationship with an alcoholic who as he said was functioning.Think again! He may have functioned but the mood swings over money,bills,and whatever else he could knit pick about were not worth the day he punched my face where I had been healing from cancer surgery,and then posted on FB that he asked me out to breakfast and I went off on a tangent.Now he claims I have mental illness because I told him to give this that and the other away,told him to get the annulment of our civil union and the adoption we did to TPR me,as this way he can't say I am dragging our son into things.He drinks 5ths of Seagrams,wines by the bottles,drives with booze in his supposed water bottle,and I can't live with nervous twitchy stomach anymore.Lotsa fish in the sea and Life is too short to be always in such bondage of someone elses bad addiction

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2014 at 06:36 PM ----------

Oh and to help you see past the feelings,imagine a window on your life experience,and you peer thru it looking with 2 sets of eyes,eyes to the past and eyes to the future...ask yourself,will all this change for the better or will it be temporary and the pain continue again.Or will all this be different because you live YOUR life to best that God gave you in talent wisdom pride in self and love of other sand family,Its amazing to practice this exercise and see all you uncover from your own introspection