1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My "friend" is acting clingy and kinda creepy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MoyashiAlice, Dec 31, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi everyone~

Friendship troubles so early in the year. (sigh) So, basically it goes like this. I have a friend (let's call her V). During middle school, I was best friends with this girl. However, past grade 10, our friendship started having some tension. Thereafter I felt like we weren't friends but she felt that we were.

In the past she did some slightly creepy/clingy things when she seemed to notice that our friendship was drifting apart. For example, she used to just sign herself up for things that I was ding or want to invite herself to go along. For example, driving lessons. I signed up for a class and right after she signed up too even when I didn't tell her when or where I was taking them (her mom asked my mom). Or going to the movies or social gatherings. After a while, she kinda backed off. But now she's kind of annoying me a bit now.

During the fall, she wanted me to hang out. Seeing as I didn't want to be friends with her, I replied back in a short e-mail saying I was busy. She then proceeded to tell another friend of mine that "I cared for trivial things more then friendship", called up my house and threatened to show up at my house. Luckily since I was actually sick, she lay off.

This "friend" is also back for the winter break since (luckily), her university is out of town so we don't have many opportunities to hang out. Again, I tried the busy technique, stating that I had two jobs and I was working a lot (which was true). Then today SHE SHOWED UP AT MY JOB. I hadn't even told her where I work, but somehow her and her mom knew both of the places I work at now.

I tend to try to avoid conflict, but this is starting to annoy me. I understand that she has anxiety problems at times, I honestly do going through that stuff myself. But her trying to use backhanded ways to make us be friends isn't fixing the problem, it's just starting to piss me off to be honest.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to fix the problem? I'd like to not be rude to her, but at the same time make it clear she's taking this a little far.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow this chick sounds terrible what is wrong with her :confused:

3. MoyashiAlice

I'm not sure per say that there is anything wrong with her... Obviously from my view she's going to seem a lot creepier then she would see it herself. However, I will say that she has anxiety.

One of the things that I have noticed is that she can be quite insecure about her relationships. From middle school till now in university, she has been somewhat obsessed with finding a boyfriend. She's never been on a date or anything, so that made her quite insecure throughout the years. I think it's also that that's making her act like this.

I do understand her feelings, but at the same time it's kind or creepy for her to keep insisting on seeing me when I have tried to politely give her some signals that I don't want to be friends anymore.

Any other suggestions? :frowning2:

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I now how this is. One of my friends (G) is like this also. G was coming onto another one of my friends and then kept talking to me after he stopped bothering the aforementioned friend. I've just kind of went along with it and acted like it never bothered me (which it didn't). OTOH, one of my friend told him off and, ultimately, possibly hurt him.

5. this si gunna sound weird but she sounds lonely.
    i knew a guy who used to be so clingy with me and used to come onto me when i told him no but then he found a boyfriend and then he stopped talking to me as much for a bit, then they broke up and he went back to being obsessed with me and saying he would show up at xyz places and knew what i was doing and when e.t.c.

i would have a blunt convo with her because that may seem like the only way to get her to back off and then cease most contact and only have 1 form of contact ie. on fb or via text. that way less chance of her finding out things, perhaps?

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think she has abandonment issues

7. MoyashiAlice

@everyone

Yeah, I'm thinking she is lonely and had abandonment issues too. And it seems the only way to resolve this is to talk to her. Only I know she will get really emotional and cry (she cries over a lot likes movies, etc) and take it personally. And then I'll feel like a b*tch. :frowning2:

Is there really no other way to resolve this?

8. Shyguy5

I can't really give any advise since I'm having the same issue as well. My "friend" tries to invite himself or even persuade me into not liking the things or friends he likes. He's even
    pulled the "you're not a good friend" card and make me out to be the guilty one with a mutual friend ours.

I think the issue for both of our "friends" is respect for others. It sounds like the way they're acting is manipulative and self-center. I'd say not respond to any messages so quickly or if at all. Sorry for my weak advise. I'm still dealing this issue.

9. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That actually sounds really awful... and creepy. Have you tried writing/sending her a very very long message? maybe sometimes just highlighting it and getting them to realise their own behaviour is embarrassment enough to get them to stop?

10. Ben

Ben

Sounds to me like your friendship with this girl has two unwanted guests making things worse for you: your mothers.
    Have you considered telling your mother how you feel? That way, she might be less inclined to share the ins and outs of your life with this girl's mother.

11. Lezbehonesthere

I had a similar problem in middle school-- there was a girl who I befriended because nobody else would, and then I learned why no one befriended her. She was so annoying and so creepy... I did everything I could to get her to leave me alone, I even got really bitchy, and all she did was have the school label me as a bully while still following me like a shadow. Trying to drift away gently didn't work, trying to force her away didn't work, telling her flat out that I didn't like her and to leave me alone didn't work, telling the teachers didn't work. In the end, the only thing that did work was graduation and going to different schools. She even sent me a friend request afterwards, this "poor victim of a ruthless bully." Since separation doesn't seem possible because of her immense creepy factor and apparent possession of a car, the second thing that came closer to working was being mean. Give her the stink eye, ignore her, keep telling her you're busy, make very clear to your mom your feeling about her so she'll stop giving away your info. Other than that, these people suck and there's little you can do about them.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This chick sounds down right manipulative .
    I think your advice would work because some of these chicks have to learn the hard way this behavior is not ok . I remember i was very obsessive with female friends but never to this point all she had to say was that makes me uncomfortable and i would respect her space .

13. MoyashiAlice

Hi guys~
    I have a few clarifications to make. To start, all of the events that you read about in my post mostly happened over a number of years, so not all at once. Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily label her as a stalker, as there are periods where she has kind of backed off. But your right that she does have some stalker tendencies and not just with me. This was the same girl who's friends were taking pictures and videos of her crush behind his back.

Forgot to mention this in my post as well but my mom stopped telling her mom about me. After the other mom asked about my mental health, if I had depression and if I was seeing a doctor my mom got pretty pissed and basically told her it was none of her business. Oh, and in that front, my friend is already seeing a guidance counselor. :slight_smile:

Strangely enough, part of me is actually wondering how much of the stalker stuff is the mom or my friend. Her mom has always really liked me. She says I'm a good student, striving to be a nurse and have helped her family a lot. My friend did make some other friends in high school, and then changed her mind. Before she wanted to be a doctor and stay living at home, now she's taking art history and away at school. Her mom wanted her to be a doctor, since that profession has literally run through their family for generations. It appears her mom seems to think I am a better influence or something and is constantly bringing up ideas about us hanging out. She used to sign us up for the same exercise classes, brought up the idea of doing a credit in another country together (which I obviously said no to) and kept asking questions about my mental health when I was beginning to pull away from her daughter. Luckily now with her daughter away at school she doesn't have any opportunities to sign us up for the same thing.

But she was also there when my friend came over to my work and asked me questions about my life now, so I was wondering if it is her influence to go visit me or hers...