1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do?!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ohlookitssid, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Ohlookitssid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For the past 7 months I've been talking to this really nice guy. We aren't dating, but I'd probably date him if he ever asked me out. He's an 18 year old senior and I'm a 16 year old sophomore. We don't go to the same school, his school is an hour and a half away from mine. Anyways, his school has this dance coming up in about a month and he asked if I'd like to go with him. I haven't responded back to him because there's a problem; he's out of the closet and I'm not (well only to my mom and close friends). I REALLY want to go to this dance with him but there's a chance that people at my school may find out somehow and they'll know I'm gay. If I don't go I feel like he'll think I don't like him, which I really do! I don't know what to do! Any suggestions?

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely go with him. You'll just need to find some solution to the not being out problem.
    Would it be really that bad if people found out? Maybe some people would respond more positively if you said you're bi? Or maybe you can just be careful and hope nobody notices. But please, go with him, just find a way to make it work out.

3. Screw people. You go and get your groove on.(!)

4. Rarareva

Rarareva Guest

You could tell him the truth. Just be honest with him and explain that you want to go, but you aren't out, so you worry about people at your school finding out. He was in the closet once too, so I'm sure he will be understanding of your concern. Maybe he can help you make a decision. At least you make sure he knows you like him and wants to go. That way he knows it has nothing to do with him, if you decide not to go.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, tell him the truth about your concerns. You don't want to be so nervous at the dance that you kill the mood always looking behind your back. Maybe if you're really concerned, you can make it up to him with some special date.

6. confused1234

First of all, tell him your concerns. Second, go! Don't let the closet control you. Like Hermione said, screw what people think. If you like him, you should go.

Oh, and I'd say there's a good chance he wants to date you if he asked you to a dance. :slight_smile:

7. liveitloveit98

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well first of all, i'd definatelly go with him. And if you've already come out to your mom, than thats all you need to worry about is what your mom thinks. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, take a risk and go have fun!
    p.s.
    2 years age difference is no big deal. c:

8. Soleil

I agree, the best course of action in my opinion is to just be honest. .. . at least as a first step. Then take a breath and work on the next step. Best of Luck!!