1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hippo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello guys,

I have a dilemma. I can't decide if my guy best friend is gay or not. When I first met him at the party, he started hugging me and was all over me right away. And he gets very friendly every time when we drink. Lately (last two parties for example) he kissed me on a cheek many times + hugged me 10000 times and was holding my hand. The next day, he was really embarrassed about it and said that this is not okay what he does when he is drunk. LOL
    Later that day when we started talking about the night before he ended up saying (joking) things like we are in a relationship and that we are more than friends and then we started joking about our wedding and stuff like that. And we weren't even drunk, completely sober. But then again he sometimes makes homophobic comments. He always says (like 10 times a day) that I am his best friend and he loves me. I am really confused about him but I would love to know if he is. He will come over tomorrow or the day after to drink and chill. Should I test him somehow?

Sorry for confusing post. English isn't my first language :wink:
    But can't wait to read your response! THANKS!

#1 hippo, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Rarareva

Rarareva Guest

Does he know you're bi? Are you interested in him? He could be interested in you, but it can be hard to tell. Sometimes guy do things like that while being drunk and don't really mean anything by it.
    He could of cause also have a crush on you and like you said, he felt a tad embarrassed about what he did while being drunk. That could be because you two are friends and he's unsure if you're interested in him. If you're interested in him, then yeah, you could try to test the waters with him. But just be sure if you want that and also keep in mind that it could damage your friendship if he's not into you or if he's homophobic. Best of luck!

3. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nope, he has no idea. Actually nobody knows that. I've had couple serious relationships with girls and I am known as the 'ladies man' haha, so I am not out and it's a huge secret.
    To be honest, I am interested in him, and I would love to find out if he really is.
    How could I test the waters with him? and what about the stuff we were talking about when we were sober? I mean I have lots of good guy friends and we don't do stuff like that, especially holding hands?!

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it :slight_smile:

4. Rarareva

Rarareva Guest

Would you still want to keep it a secret? I'm not sure... Maybe you could bring up something about bi/gay people. And hear what he says, like how his view is on it. Next time you could try to be a little more touchy feely with him. Like gentle touch his arm or shoulder while talking with him, and see how he reacts to it.

Did you guys hold hands while being sober? I thought it was only during drinking? Yeah, then he could be into you. My best advice is to look how he is around other guys. If it's the same as around you, then it's just how he is. If he's different then he might like you.

5. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, I definitely want to keep it a secret, at least right now.
    You are right, we were holding hands while drinking, but the first time we did we were on the bed talking and holding them for a while, but again while being very drunk. And he is not like this with anyone else...

I would love to hear more opinions. Thanks guys!

6. Aldrick

Hey Hippo and welcome to EC!

Rarareva has already given you some pretty good advice, but I just wanted to jump in and add some important things.

First, no one can tell you the sexual orientation of your friend except your friend. Unless he specifically tells you that he's straight, gay, bi, pan, questioning, curious or whatever other label or description he wants to use - then you can't really assume anything. It could be that he's just that way when he starts drinking. Clearly, he has strong feelings for you. However, just because two guys love each other, are affectionate, and desire intimacy with one another does not mean they want a romantic or sexual relationship. That's pretty much the definition of a bromance.

To be clear, I'm not saying he is or is not into you; it's just a giant question mark until he confirms his feelings and orientation to you himself.

Second, you mention that he's coming over, that you'll both be drinking, and that you're looking for a way to "test" him. I want to throw up a giant red flag for you. You're heading into some serious dangerous territory here where things can go bad really quickly. When you're both drinking and inhibitions are down one or both of you may say or do something that you both regret.

Specifically, if he's actually interested in you as more than a friend, and if you are attempting to purposefully create a scenario where he can act on his feelings you may get more than you expect. More directly, I've seen situations like your own where scenarios like this led to them making out or having sex, and the fact that you're both drunk means your decision making abilities are going to be impaired.

If anything happens that really gives you an idea that he's into you and not straight you're courting with serious damage to your friendship. You could be playing with emotions like fear, regret, and shame on his part. Simply telling him it's okay and that you feel the same way after the fact really isn't enough because he could be dealing with a whole lot of internal issues. That's stuff he needs to get sorted out.

You have to be very careful here, and I can't in good conscious recommend that you find a way to "test" him while you're both drinking. The possibility of damaging your friendship is just too high.

Third, the best thing you can do to "test" him is to come out as bisexual. By coming out to him you're telling him everything he needs to know. If he's interested in you then the moment he knows that you aren't straight, he's going to realize that he has a chance. My advice is during this conversation with him discuss how you realized you were bisexual, and then casually ask him if he's ever questioned if he was ever attracted to someone of the same gender. That gives him the opportunity to reveal any potential same sex attractions or thoughts he might have had in the past to you.

This conversation could actually draw you both closer and strengthen your friendship as a result of the honesty. If your friend is sincere in the fact that he loves you, then he'll accept you. If he doesn't accept you then he wasn't sincere in what he said, and he's certainly got some issues of his own that he has to work out.

In the end, by laying your cards on the table and coming out, it's going to open the door for him to talk about his sexual orientation with you. Once he knows you're not straight, that makes you safe to come out too. He may not feel comfortable coming out to you tonight, but the possibility always exists that he may in the future - assuming that he isn't straight, of course.

If you're not prepared to come out to him, then I can't really recommend any other form of test. The reason is that the only way to get the answer you want is to: A) Have him come out to you first. B) Have him make a move on you.

Him coming out to you first is possible, but if he's struggling to accept his sexuality that could take awhile. You don't want to wait forever, so by coming out first you make yourself safe increasing the speed at which he may feel comfortable enough to come out to you (assuming he isn't straight).

Putting him in a position where he makes a move on you will likely backfire in a horrible way. It's too risky for your friendship, and so I can't recommend it.

I hope this helps.

7. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dear Aldrick,

You have no idea what your response means to me!!!
    I am so thankful that you took time to explain me all of this. It really helps, but yea, I don't think I am ready to come out to him yet and also I don't want to risk with what we have. I think I am going to be just friends with him right now and see what happens. Our friendship is changing and getting stronger by everyday and I think (hope) this conversation will happen one day in the right moment. Thank you so much again!

I would still like to read more opinions even though I've received some great help already.

8. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!!
    First of all, your English is awesome! XD
    If you want to test the waters a bit... you could just touch him back whenever he touches you. Keep pushing him and be even more touchy with him :grin:
    See how he responds. You can also subtly drop hints like telling him he's cute, or asking to go do something together :slight_smile:

I think there's a decent possibility that he likes you, but at least he definitely wants to be friends.

9. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    WhiteShadows -- thanks so much! Much love to you to Australia!
    I will add couple of more things to you... I just found out lately from our mutual close female friend that he looks up to me A LOT. On one party couple of weeks ago he got very jealous because I was talking to couple of other guys and being friends with them. He actually said that he was jealous but then again, we were both drunk. Does that mean anything at all? Please respond! Thanks guys!

10. Aldrick

Hippo -

I would certainly say that your friend is acting like he has an attraction toward you. He certainly looks to be possessive over you like a boyfriend would rather than a friend. This doesn't mean that he's romantically or sexually attracted to you, or that he isn't 100% straight. We can't tell that, and we only know what we know from your perspective.

Trying to say whether or not he's gay, bisexual, or even curious (and then on top of it all: prepared to act on those feelings) is like reading tea leaves. The only way you're going to get the answer you want is to eventually come out to him, which in turn is going to let him know that there is at least an opportunity for something more.

When you come out to him, during the discussion with him, you can talk about how you came to realize that you were bisexual. Then you can just casually ask him whether or not he's ever considered that he wasn't 100% straight. If you do that in the context of that conversation, and if he feels comfortable enough with how things are going - he may also admit that he isn't completely straight.

If he can admit that to you, then there is no need to push things any further with asking whether or not he's attracted to you. Just let the relationship continue on it's current path. Assuming he isn't straight and has come out to you, then suddenly your relationship is more authentic. It will be deeper and you can both share things that you couldn't share before; including more honesty and intimacy.

As things naturally evolve, you can then eventually broach the topic of how you feel about him, and wonder if he returns your feelings. Almost certainly he will say yes at that point, and then you can begin attempting to move from the friendship you have with him to a relationship.

I believe this is the safest and best path forward for you, and the one most likely to result in you both in a relationship. (Again, assuming you're reading him correctly and he isn't 100% straight.)

11. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Aldrick, thank you so much again! You are just incredible! I wish I knew a person like you :slight_smile:
    I really don't think even if he is gay or bi, he would come out right now, even though lately our conversations are weird and he started doing things I mentioned earlier. It's so confusing, because one moment I really think he is and then again I sometimes think he is definitely not.

I still have one more thing to add here. He has never ever had any relationships with anyone. And reading other threads I also noticed that he never ever said that look, this girl is hot or something. Also, he is very private person and not very social, and he doesn't have to many friends but he has couple very close friends and he says it's enough for him.
    And we've also had some eye contact which is another factor that there's a possibility...
    Again, are there really STRAIGHT guys who do all of this to their friends? I mean I have never met a guy like this. I do have couple of guy best friends who are straight and have told me they love me but this is all.

We are actually going to see each other tomorrow. He is coming over and plan is to watch movies, later get drunk like we do very often at my place lol. Please don't think I have a drinking problem... I am actually not a heavy drinker, I have a christmas break from college and I just love drinking with him. Haha

PS! Keep writing me here, I am so curious to read your comments on my situation. I am like refreshing this forum 10000 times a minute to see if anyone posted something haha :slight_smile:

Thank you all so much!

12. Aldrick

Hippo -

I can't tell you with absolute certainty what is going on in your friends head and what he is feeling. I don't want to mislabel the situation, and give you a false impression - which you then go act on.

However, to answer your question honestly - no, I don't feel that this is normal friend behavior. Considering that it also happens when he drinks and that lowers his inhibitions... Well, my gut instincts tell me that he likely has a crush on you. Whether or not he identifies as LGBT is really a side matter to all of that... it's possible to have feelings for someone of the same sex without identifying as LGBT.

Hell, you could be the first guy he's ever felt this way toward. There are a lot of possibilities, but ultimately my gut instincts tell me that he'd like more than friendship. Sadly, that doesn't mean that he has the courage to actually act on his feelings.

So, like I said - the best possible outcome is for you to come out to him. Whether or not he also comes out to you is unknown, but considering he has feelings for you the opportunity is there. It's just a matter of him having the courage to act on his feelings.

13. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks again, Aldrick. I agree with you on everything and I can't wait for tomorrow when he is coming over. I am kind of nervous too for some reason... I have no idea what will happen. We have been talking on Facebook all day today and then later tonight we talked 40 minutes on the phone. I think I am falling in love really badly...

What do others think about the whole thing?

14. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think try not to worry too much and just enjoy the friendship. Come out to him / talk to him when you're ready. Otherwise just see where it goes from there :slight_smile:

15. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh okay, thank you! (*hug*)

I am really nervous though...

16. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He seems very comfortable around you if he can get really close to you, be all over you and even kiss you. I think if he feels comfortable like this you should be able to be comfortable also :slight_smile: He clearly thinks highly of you, regardless of his orientation. Just do what you think is best, and don't be nervous about doing what you need to do :slight_smile:
    (*hug*)

17. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh guys. He came out to me.... he is gay. Can you believe this? I can't believe this happened but we just both realized we were gay. I didn't even force him or anything. He was just very flirty. THANK YOU!

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations!

19. Aldrick

:thumbsup:

Congratulations. I do hope you told him that you were bisexual as well. How did he react to that news?

20. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my goodness!
    That's so awesome!!!!!!!!!
    Please keep us updated :grin: