1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I do something stupid?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sal, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Sal

Sal Guest

My best friends girlfriend just called me randomly in the middle of the night. What started out as a small talk about art assignments turned into me giving her a "best friend" talk. It was the first time we have spoken without the presence of my friend and I felt that I had to ask her about her attentions with my friend.

I brought up my friends therapy sessions, thinking she already knew about them; which she did. But not in great detail. I didn't reveal much. I simply told her that my friend was a very fragile person and tends to take her relationships very seriously. I also did the whole don't hurt my her threat.

Now I feel like I did something wrong and had no right to have that conversation with her. I felt like I broke my friends trust somehow. Should I have just kept my mouth shut and let them continue without giving her the warning? My friends has serious issues that can weigh heavily on a person. I've been supporting her for a while now, but now she has a girlfriend. Shouldn't she carry some of the weight as well. God I feel so nervous right now. My Brains being irrational and I keep imagining both of them being mad at me tomorrow. Been trying to calm myself down, but it's not working.

2. heaven

The burden of that friendship is not for you to carry alone and from what you told us right now it's not like you told her a lot about what she didn't already know. On top of that if your friends girlfriend can't deal with her baggage is it really worth it to keep it going when sooner or later she might find out anyways. And last maybe she won't even tell your friend and it will be a private heart to heart that you guys had.

3. North

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It doesn't sound like you did anything that any good friend wouldn't do. In fact, you almost did it better than I would have. For my best friends significant others, I usually just threaten without pointing out that they can be fragile. If she already knew about the therapy sessions, then you didn't bring up anything that is any sort of huge issue. You were just making sure that she knew you don't want her to hurt your friend.

Any friend would do that :slight_smile: If you have a lot of doubts or are still nervous, you might talk to your friend. It might be a slightly uncomfortable conversation, but if you really feel that bad about it, it would probably make you feel better.