1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another str8 (or bi) housemate dilemma... help!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hugz57, Jan 2, 2014.

1. hugz57

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all,

Happy New Year!

I'm new here and I read a few threads about falling in love with your straight mates, which seems to happen to many people here, and of course it happened to me in the past, but not for a long time.

I have always lived with straight friends, and for some of them we shared a house for years and became like brothers, going on holidays together, then going to their weddings abroad etc. 1 of them was more serious but I got very close with the other two, and although they all knew I was gay it was never an issue. One of them was always very touchy-feely with me, hugging a lot, even kissing for fun when we were drunk etc but we both knew it was just a bit of fun and that would never go further.

Eventually they found girlfriends and moved out to live with them, fair enough and we're still all good friends. So I was left with the more "serious" housemate who bought his own flat and therefore moved out in August. I was keen on finding a new housemate (just one) who was a dog lover as I was planning to buy a puppy at some stage. So I go on Gumtree and I find a guy with a dog looking for a place to stay and he was not far from me. I had no idea if he was straight or gay from the photo so I thought I'd just mention I was gay in my email to him, just he case he didn't want to live with a gay guy. He came around to visit the house and moved in the following weekend. We have lived together for 6 months now.

Now here's the problem: he is one of the most attractive and lovely guys I have ever met. As I knew he was straight (he had just broked up with his GF and kept going on dates) I just didn't think more of him than being a lovely new friend.

Then one week before Christmas, we had a few friends around and got drunk together. Normally we are sitting on each side of the couch when it's only the 2 of us but that night we were close together, my leg was under his basically all evening and he didn't try to move it away or anything... and then in the corner of my eye I see him staring at me intensely so I turned towards him and he quickly turns his head the other way. Then it kept happening all night, each time I was looking at him our eyes crossed and he was quickly turning the other way... only to stare at me again a couple minutes later. Repeat all night.

I never mentioned it of course, and he does have a GF who was away at the time (she's back in a couple days). I know he's really into her but she is 15 years older than him; I happen to be the same age as her. Anyway we went out for NYE and when we came back to the house with a couple friends, the same thing happened (staring then looking away).

I have no idea what this means; maybe he's actually bi? To make matters worse, his best friend is also straight but has a very touchy-feely relationship with him, then even kiss on the lips regularly (not a snog of course) and on NYE his mate asked me if I knew what my housemate also likes? I said "what?" and he replied "men!!" - unfortunately my housemate heard him and gave him this panicked look, so his mate quickly changed the subject.

So now I'm completely confused - I don't expect anything to happen really but these looks he gave me and now this revelation have led me to realise I liked him more than I thought.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I just feel uneasy and sad at the situation.

Thanks! ;-)

2. Rarareva

Rarareva Guest

It does sound like he might have a crush on you, from what you told us. At the moment he's with a girl and he might not want to act on the crush on you, since you guys are living together. It could make things complicated and awkward. Maybe that's why he gave his mate that look, when he told you your roommate likes men too.

You could ask him what his mate meant and that you're cool with him being bi (if that's what he is). Maybe hold back on telling him about your feelings until you know for sure and until you're sure on how seriously it is for you. Best of luck!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In situations like this, I like to ask the following question - "Which is more important to you - to clear the air, or to have something happen?" If you really want something to happen, you can. You can make subtle moves on him. You can make really blatant moves on him. And yeah, that's going to lead to some uncomfortable questions the next day, and the whole "what about the girlfriend" question. But some guys prefer living life that way.

I personally don't. I'd rather simply hash it out. If I were in your situation, I'd sit him down (alone) and say we needed to talk. Then I'd just lay it out. "When you moved in, I thought you were 100% straight. But since then, I've been getting signs that maybe you're actually bi, and maybe you're actually interested in me. Maybe I'm misreading those signs, in which case, I'm sorry. :slight_smile: But if it IS the case that you're bi, and it IS the case that you might be interested, then I guess I should tell you that I'd be interested too...but only as long as you're unattached. I'm not interested in sharing a guy with anybody else. Again, maybe I've totally misread the situation - it wouldn't be the first time. But just in case I haven't, I wanted you to know where I stand."

At that point, the ball's in his court. If he wants something to happen, he knows what he has to do.

Lex

4. hugz57

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Raravera, I do think he may have a crush on me but I completely understand the situation that it could be awkward as housemates, girlfriend or not. In fact they've only met a couple months ago and he seems completely in love, so any crush (if there is any) would probably come second to that and stay limited to those looks when tipsy. Also his mate is very joky so maybe he wasn't serious, but then he told me that out of the blue when we were talking about something completely different (we were talking about languages!!! so I was taken aback as I didn't see the connection LOL). So right now I don't really want to bring up what his mate said, as the look he gave him seemed to mean he didn't want me to know.

Lex: if there are more signs I guess I'll have to follow you on that one, but for now I guess I have to keep quiet and pretend nothing happened... it sucks but I don't wanna risk it in case it was a joke and I completely misread the situation, as you said it wouldn't be the first time!