1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In love but with the wrong gender

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rainbow Panda, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello
    I used to be in a relatioship with a guy (for 6 years) and eventually ended up living with him for a year. We were in a long distance relationship before living together as oceans parted us. Eventually we broke up as I had to go back to my home country to study. I was never attracted to him in other ways than mentally and I didn't really want to have sex with him, I always did it because I really wanted it to work and for him to be happy.

We are stll friends, but my parents keep trying to pressure me to hold on to him and be together with him again one day. I still love him, but I think he deserves to be with someone who can fully appreciate all of his aspects.

I have no clue what to do. Deep down I feel like we were soulmates (if you belive in that stuff). Our relationship felt more like a really close friendship but doesn't that happen to all relationships?

I don't know what I am trying to say, my parents have just stirred up my head and a little feedback on this issue would be appreciated :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ignore your parents for a while. What do YOU want. Do you want to try and cling to a relationship which you see as a close friendship and nothing more, all the while feeling guilty that your partner could have something better?

You already seem to know what you should do here. Don't force something for your parents sake :slight_smile:

3. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I know, its just difficult to accept that some things aren't meant to be for unfair reasons :/

4. MightNeedThis

I see where you're coming from, but if you don't love him you don't love him. Ignore the pressure from your parents, being with someone to make anyone else happy isn't fair to anyone. You have to look out for you when it comes to love.