1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom makes fun of homosexual people

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Commenza, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone,

I've been hurt pretty badly by my mother. Whenever she sees homosexual couples, she makes fun of them for being gay. I don't exactly know why but I guess, it's because to her, it's something "weird" and unusual.

I don't think that she knows that I like girls because she has never said anything to me regarding that topic. But still, I feel hurt every time she laughs or says mean things about homosexual couples. It makes me feel like I will never be able to come out to her because I believe that she isn't going to take me seriously. Or if she were to laugh at me after coming out would probably be the worst feeling ever.

Any advice? I feel horrible...

2. method

Is coming out an option right now?

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can try having a civil conversation with her.
    When she laughs, just ask her "Why do you think that's a weird thing?"
    Don't get upset. Don't get angry. Just try to understand why she thinks it's weird. Maybe it will be harmless ignorance, and you'll feel more comfortable coming out to her at a later time

4. OhSOCurious

I agree with TJ, If you were ever planning on stopping her then adding your sexuality into the mix could be a good equalizer.

To relate to you: My aunt doesn't approve of sexuality but accepts me because I am family. But she no longer mocks the fact that people have homosexual relations and infact seems to be more tolerant of it.

Just some words of encouragement if you were also aiming to come out in the near future.

5. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No, you shouldn't feel horrible. My mom was just like that until I slowly started responding to her comments and defending the LGBT community and schooling her on the issues. She's not doing it to be wicked, but like all parents, the issue isn't real to them until it's real and something they have to face.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going through the same thing but i don't have good advice