1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find other LGBT people in my area?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by seal131, Jan 5, 2014.

1. seal131

I am 17, so hookup apps aren't an option (I don't really want an anonymous hookup anyway). How do I find other people like me in my area, short of coming out to the world? Just to find friends, or maybe a relationship.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm having this same problem but i'll sit back and watch what other people say .

3. A Person

Unfortunately I have the same option. Sometimes I use some chat sites to see if there's anyone from where i live although I only have met 1 so far :frowning2:

4. willycubed28

Until you are 18 or even 21 in some places it is very hard to find the LGBT community within your own community but it is not impossible by any means. I had a hard time with that when I was your age, but like I said it is not impossible. Just do not give up trying to find them in your area.

5. biggayguy

I didn't know many gay people until I joined the GSA at school. It turned out I knew some but they weren't out to me. There were only a couple of people for the first few meetings. We got more members as we had more fund raisers. We also had people tear down our posters but we put them right back up.

6. flymetothemoon

Is there an LGBT club you could join? Or an LGBT community center to go to events at? You can also try checking sites like meetup.com to see if there are any LGBT groups meeting up in your area through that site.

7. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Check go see if there is an LGBT center in your area. They usually have youth groups for people from ages 16-23. It's a great way to meet people in your age group. Colleges are also a great way to meet like-minded people. Good luck.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    meetup.com sounds interesting. I never heard of it before, but sure enough there were some gay groups and even a trans group. In my city there is a "Utah Pride center", so there might be similar ones for you.

9. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    google
    (your city) lgbt youth

Hopefully that will bring up an lgbt group :slight_smile: That's what I did

10. robotman

I am having the same problem... I don't really know what to do and can't find anything... I don't want to use apps aswell...

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my hometown meeting other gay people was almost impossible. They either did not care or thought I wanted sex with them. When you get 18 you can just leave and find a community that will accept you as you are. I wouldn't care if I lost all my money doing it because I know I would be dead if I stayed in my shit hometown. I maybe be low income now with my bf but it was well worth it. I know the wait is hard but it will be worth it.