1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awful Therapist

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HermioneGaynger, Jan 6, 2014.

1. So I go to see this therapist I occasionally see. She's super Christian and I told her I was "bisexual" (I wanted to test the waters). She then says that I couldn't know I was bisexual if I never had sex with a girl and that if I did I would go to hell. I told her I was an atheist and she said that you can't not believe in god. She a said "I can say I don't believe in electricity, but it still exists.". It literally took every ounce of self control not to bludgeon her head in. I feel like I could report this as therapist abuse and as being unethical. I told her to stop talking about religion and she just wouldn't shut up. Ughhhhhhhhh. :bang:

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this a joke lol?
    How can trashy people like that get certified as "therapists."
    That's terrible. Hope you get a new one.

3. I wish. Seriously it's not the 1950's, she needs to get the f**k over herself.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, if she evokes this visceral of a response in you, she's not the therapist for you. As for her continuing to bring up religion, and you've asked her not to, that's bad-bad-bad news. Is she affiliated with a church from which she provides therapy? If so, she has that privilege, if you will, but non-religious types should then stay away, especially those with non-hetero sexual preferences.

During this last run at therapy, I listed a bunch of criteria and checked off anybody that wasn't within the bounds. I, too, would not want a religious therapist; however, I would not want an atheist, either, since I have a faith. There are people who have a religion and offer therapy, but can operate without it when at work, knowing their clients will be diverse.

Yep, I'd like to know what it takes to report a therapist. Some are unprofessional, hurtful, and have personal issues with the people they see. A REAL professional would opt out by saying they don't think it's a good match and the therapeutic relationship might not be beneficial.

5. PurpleGrey

She has no business saying shit like that. The potential damage of what she said should be enough to revoke her license. You might want to do some research on how to report her and to whom. I'd do so in a heartbeat.

6. Simple Thoughts

I'm sorry that the therapist you have is such a hack. It's a shame, I can't stand people who have no respect for others.

I think you need a new therapist, and to report your current one for 'unprofessional conduct'

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If this is a licensed therapist in the state of Florida, you owe it to yourself and to anyone else that might possibly be damaged by her to file a formal and detailed report with the bureau of behavioral sciences (or whatever the licensing board in Florida is called.)

This goes way beyond therapist discretion, and even beyond what would be reasonable in the context of a therapist (inappropriately) disclosing his or her spiritual beliefs. It is simply grossly unethical and a violation of not only the licensure standards, but also the standards of whatever professional association she belongs to, if any.

If you would like to file a report and need any help in doing so, please PM me and I'll be happy to help. The more people make reports and bring to light how often this sort of thing is happening, the more we can effect change so that vulnerable people reaching out for help may not be driven to suicide or addiction or worse at the hands of incompetent people like this.

8. Nick07

lool that argument about electricity is priceless.
    Change the therapist.

9. Nikky DoUrden

Wow.
    Give me 10 minutes with her, let's see what she thinks about electricity then ..

And yeah, change therapist and demand your money back while your at it :thumbsup:

10. Munyal

That is downright wrong of her. To quote Sherlock, when she speaks, she "lowers the IQ of the whole street." But I would suggest getting a new therapist.

11. Lindsey23

Please report her. I'm glad you are strong enough and smart enough to know that she is full of sh-- but another more vulnerable person would take to heart what she is saying and will be negatively influenced by her. The harm she can cause is immense. She knows the rules of her profession and she is breaking them. It's not ok.

12. biggayguy

This sounds like Dr. Laura from the radio. Her "advice" comes straight from the fifties. What kind of counseling degree does this person have? Dr. Laura has a doctorate in physiology not psychology. She has a certificate in family counseling. I would question your counselor's credentials.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's amazing how some people have contorted their credentials to obtain credibility in the public eye and the media. Correct about Laura Schlesinger's doctorate in physiology. Dr. Laura is more amusing than anything else. She's feisty, combative, and she makes snap judgments. I think she does this because the rhythm of the calls she gets seem to overlap quite a bit over the long haul, she is given a summary of the situation before she actually begins the call (I'm guessing), and she's only got so much air time, so she's got this Judge Judy of therapy approach. That's another show that is fairly laughable, btw.

Another "problem," in my opinion, is the Gray and DeAngelis coupling from "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" and other books. They have parted ways and have quite interesting biographies, as far as how many marriages they've been through and the education they have and from where. Their books have fetched them quite a bit of money. Most self-help pop psychology stuff is almost commonsensical. However, the more incisive books out there can be more compelling.