1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally asked him out...now it's winter break...and he's depressed

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FishMan27, Jan 6, 2014.

1. FishMan27

In the last thread I posted, I talked about my first gay crush, and at that point, we were no more than friends.

Just before the end of the semester, I finally asked him out, and he said yes! Unfortunately, the timing was awful since it's winter break now, and we live so far away from each other. It's been about three weeks since I've seen him, and school doesn't start for a couple weeks still.

All break he has been on my mind. I just want to be able to see him and talk to him. I think he likes me, but I don't know yet, especially since we haven't even begun dating. I try not to over text him (once or twice a week). I don't want to seem desperate, but I also really miss him. I've though about trying to Skype with him, but I'm worried we're not at that point in our relationship yet. Again, I don't want to seem desperate or clingy.

On top of not being able to see each other, he told me in a text not too long ago that he has been battling depression. I just want to give him a hug and be there for him, but I can't and it's eating me up. Our text conversations tend to be really short (3-4 texts). He never was a big texter in the first place. Still, I'm worried about bothering him by texting him, even only a couple times a week.

I don't think I've ever been truly depressed, so it's hard to understand what he's going through and what I can do to help (if anything). Advice?

2. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Send him a text, something like "Hey dude, how is it going? Still feeling down?" or something to that effect. If he says he is fine now, just reply saying "great! if you ever want to talk about it, i'm here." If he is still feeling depressed then go "I'm sorry man. Do you want to talk about it? I'm here for you."

Regardless of his answer, you will be able to let him know that you are there for him. Be sure to make emphasis on the TALKING part, so it is not just a text thing, but an actual conversation.

3. FishMan27

Thanks Aquaman. I did message him on Facebook and said to call me if he ever wanted to talk. I understand that I might not necessarily be the person he'd want to talk to about anything overly personal since it's early in our relationship, but I just wish there was something I could do. It sucks being so far away!

4. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

What is it with people and Facebook? LOL! That is so impersonal. I'd try the text, just as a "well check" kind of thing. I honestly believe that letters written by hand with a hawk's feather should do a comeback :lol:

Hang in there. I'm sure it is tough not being around him. I completely understand you trying not to come off as clingy; just see it as you being truly concerned for his well being. No reasonable human being would take it the wrong way if someone is showing them compassion during a hard time.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are really lucky that your first crush said yes!

You could just send him nice messages, ones that don't require a reply but just show how much you care for him. Since he's depressed, send him uplifting things that help boost his self-worth, what you think is special about him that he may not recognize himself. Don't be trite.

If you're worried about bothering him, just ask him if it's too much. Being depressed, he may actually want more contact but is feeling too sad to start it. Also, depression is often a lack of all emotions, not just sadness or happiness. You should really consider getting him to see a therapist; don't put all the burden on yourself.

These two comics are some of my favorites in explaining how depression feels.
    Hyperbole and a Half: Adventures in Depression
    Hyperbole and a Half: Depression Part Two

6. FishMan27

Perhaps it's a generational thing, but the reason I sent him a personal message on Facebook was because he'd been posting some things that were a little disconcerting. This was before he told me he was depressed.

Honestly, I agree. I'd love to write him a letter. I love receiving snail mail, and I think it would mean more to him than a text every couple days. Unfortunately, I don't know his home address. Maybe I'll try to find it using yellow pages or something.

@ resu: I believe he has been seeing a doctor. It seems like he has been trying to boost his self-confidence and self-worth. Still, it is depression, and as your comics pointed out, it's not necessarily something you can fight with just hope and positive thoughts. It probably requires more than that.

One thing that always seemed to put him at ease was my piano playing. Maybe I'll record some videos and send them to him. I think he'd like that.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a really good idea, especially if you play something he really likes. Music is the universal language, and music therapy has been shown to be beneficial.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

If someone played the piano or a violin for me, I think I could just die (with a smile on my face)

9. FishMan27

Haha thanks, guys. I'll definitely have to do that then.

Also, I did find his address, and I've written a letter to him about what a great time I've had with him this past semester and how I look forward to spending time with him next semester. I just want him to know I think he really is amazing. At the same time, I tried not to pour everything out since, as I've said, we've not even "officially" had a first date.

10. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

You should definitely play a piano concert for him via Skype. Be silly and creative about it... have fun! He'll love it.

11. Noir

I just wanted to say I read your first post and it just made me so happy--I'm so glad when it works out for people, and I hope everything goes well for you!

I agree, the girl I used to like used to send Youtube URLS for songs back and forth since we weren't the best at conversations via texting, Skype, etc. It's a nice way to communicate and convey exactly what you want to without seeming clingy or annoying, etc. Don't worry, I'm sure he won't think you're any of those things :slight_smile: (At least not if he's worth it!)

12. PalestrinaMX

I've battled depression, still am. Even though at times it seems like people with depression don't want to be bothered at times all they want is to know someone is there for them. Even if it's through a text :slight_smile: Good luck.

13. FishMan27

Alright, I've written him a letter, and today, I recorded my piano arrangement of Lorde's song "Royals" (which is pretty sweet if I do say so myself) since we both really like that song. I'm still not entirely sure how I should put up the video for him to watch.

I could either send it directly to him (electronically) or I could post it to Facebook knowing that he'd see it (since I've posted videos of this nature before and he's mentioned them). Obviously, the first option is much more personal, but would it be too much? Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm open to suggestions.

14. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

This is very exciting and original! You can upload the video to YouTube and then private message the link to him. So it is public but private at the same time.

15. FishMan27

That was kind of what I was thinking of doing. Earlier in the year before I asked him out, I had recorded a few videos (that just happened to be of songs by artists he said he liked) and posted them on YouTube. Then, I shared them on my Facebook timeline, and that's how he came to know I was a good pianist. A number of wonderful evenings playing piano for him throughout the semester followed the posting of the videos. :thumbsup:

16. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

That is so cool! I am sure he will appreciate the effort you are making to cheer him up. Dude, that is an amazing talent!