1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbor is getting a little creepy...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheSeeker, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TheSeeker

Hey all,

So as most of you are aware I live in the Deep South, bastion of tolerance and LGBT freedoms :roflmao:

Yeah... no.

But seriously, I just moved in and signed a six-month lease. Now since I live on an island and most of the houses around me are rentals, they are often empty with an absentee landlord that comes in every once and awhile. The house behind me is like that and I met the landlord a couple months ago when he was checking out the house. He's an older bachelor who lives in one of the big cities in the state, but grew up on the island. He popped by my house to welcome me to the neighborhood one night and without thinking I just let him in (I am a very nice guy), he was very friendly and invited me to check out his rental sometime.

I did go over the following week, and took a quick look. I hadn't had much interaction with him really but something made me uneasy about him, which was very unusual for me. We talked for awhile about various things and the one question he kept coming back to was mentioning me and women, whether I would meet a girl on the island, did I have a girlfriend, etc. I dodged and dodged until he finally said "you really don't want to talk about it do you?" and I said "it's just not on my priority list".

Now, if you've read my other threads, I have not been shy about coming out, but this guy made me hesitant. Not only was he interested in me and trying to hide it, and he definitely presents himself as straight (holy roller type), but there was some other undercurrent there that unsettled me.

Now, since I gave him my number if he needed me to check on the house in his absence, he texts me almost daily. Just about random shit. He also said since I have helped him out, that he would make me dinner the next time he is down here in the spring.

Now, if he was just an old closeted gay guy in the South (believe me, there are plenty), then of course that's fine. Just a matter of letting him know that he's not my type. But... He kind of scares me, and there are very few people that actually scare me. I don't know what it is, and I am not sure how to deal with it. I want him to let me be, but I don't want to piss him off (I use his property to launch my kayaks from). I usually charm my way out of situations like this, but that would only get me in deeper trouble I think.

The last straw was a highschool age kid that came into my office today and after making some small talk we realized we were neighbors. He mentioned my older neighbor and, before I could say anything he said: "You may want to watch out for him, he's kinda creepy."

My thoughts exactly... What are yours? How should I proceed? This is not homophobia, this is just a desire to not get raped.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go with your gut. You could tell him you can't accept any more texts because you don't have a messaging plan. Don't respond to anything that's not "business" related. Don't let him come inside your home.

3. TheSeeker

Ok, I took your advice and sent that message. He apologized for texting so much and now I kinda feel bad. But I never get creepy vibes and I am getting one from him...

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way with this older man I see at lunch. He has no shame as he ogles at younger guys, and I go out of my way not to even see his eyes. This makes it hard when I see cute guys my age and don't want him to catch on that I'm gay.

5. Caleb93

I'd say go with your gut. As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, there are plenty of shady characters out there and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that you end up with one as your neighbor. It's a good idea to be careful, especially if someone else has the same intuition as you do.